Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the D&H. For more information, please visit the Bridge Line Historical Society.

Moderator: MEC407

#1191510  by Cactus Jack

Can anyone tell me about these lines ?

Where did they connect to the main, what were they used for and how long did they last ....
 #1192347  by Mem160

I think it was mostly for a paper mill the Ticonderoga branch. You can clearly see where it crossed NYS RTE 22 down by Lake Champlain, when you got south of the road that brings you to Fort TIconderoga. I think they ripped the tracks out in the very early 1980's
 #1192435  by Steve Wagner

The Baldwin branch provided a connection to the Lake George steamers that ran down the lake from Caldwell (later called Lake George Village). I don't think that branch lasted as long as the Ticonderoga branch. Search for Ticonderoga branch on the Internet; there's a splendid website on it.
 #1193479  by RussNelson

The Baldwin Branch came off the Ticonderoga Branch at Delano Junction. See its routing here: http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/131641619" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . The Ticonderoga Branch can be seen here: http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/47332271" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; . These are both covered in Dr. Kudish's Railroads of the Adirondacks (now out of print), and his newer Mountain Railroads of New York State: Eastern Adirondacks.

They left the main on the west side of the curve in Lawson Lane.
 #1214940  by ChiefTroll

The Baldwin Branch originally ran from Delano Jct to Baldwin. Delano Jct at MP A-100 was the connection with the Champlain Division proper, which became TI Cabin with the TCS installation. The Ticonderoga Branch ran from Ticonderoga Jct, about MP A-101 on the Baldwin Branch, into and around the Village of Ticonderoga to serve the mills of Ticonderoga Pulp and Paper Co., later to become International Paper Co. So the Ticonderoga Branch connected with the Baldwin Branch, which connected to the Champlain Division at Delano Jct.
 #1220321  by lstone19

At one time, the D&H owned the Lake George Steamboat Co. and it appears it was possible to go train to Caldwell (Lake George Village), lake steamer to Baldwin, and then continue by train. While I've never seen it stated explicitly, I suspect the Steamboat Co. was regulated as a common carrier as they offered a daily (in summer) morning southbound departure from Baldwin and afternoon northbound departure to Baldwin all the way into the 60s. Hard to believe there was much tourist demand for such a service.