Railroad Forums 

• C&NW Pamphlet (H Class) and vintage locomotive photo

• Discussion relating to The Chicago & North Western, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road), including mergers, acquisitions, and abandonments.
Discussion relating to The Chicago & North Western, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road), including mergers, acquisitions, and abandonments.

Moderator: Komachi

#809909  by tech125

Found at an estate sale C &NW advertising pamphlet for the "h" class locomotives, inside was a bonus vintage
photo of an old locomotive #1206.Any information on the history and dates of these two items would be appreciated.
What years did the "H" class locomotives run? Any information would be much appreciated.....

Thank You

#809953  by westr

There is information about the C&NW H Class 4-8-4s at http://www.steamlocomotive.com/northern/?page=cnw. They were built in 1929, so the pamphlet probably dates from about that time. The H-Class were retired in the 1950s.

The photo of locomotive #1206 is unrelated to the pamphlet. #1206 is a Norfolk & Western A-Class 2-8-8-4, a sister engine to survivor #1218. The photo is from the 1940s or 1950s.
 #810000  by tech125

Regarding the #1206 locomotive Norfolk & Western A-Class 2-8-8-4, I searched a bit more for information and it turns out
there is a museum in Virginia.I may email them and see if they are intreested in the photo as i would gladly donate it since
it has no relevance to the c&nw pamphlet.

The Virginia Museum of Transportation is the Official Transportation Museum of the Commonwealth of Virginia.

We’re proud to be in Roanoke!
303 Norfolk Avenue SW
Roanoke, VA 24016
[email protected]
The Virginia Museum of Transportation has one of the finest rail collections in the United States. More than 50 exhibits provide a broad view of Virginia's rich railway heritage.Our most valuable exhibits are the internationally known Norfolk and Western Class J-611 and the Class A-1218, the most modern steam locomotives ever built. Both are products of the talent and skills of the Norfolk and Western personnel who designed and built these locomotives in the N & W's own Roanoke Shops.

The Class A locomotive was known for it's durability and power. It routinely pulled 150 cars loaded with coal at an average speed of 70 miles per hour. The N&W shops built 43 Class A's in the 1940's. This exhibit is the only one that escaped the scrap yard..

Thank You so much for the history lesson on these old locomotives.

Is there any way you can look at my second post on this forum and provide some additional information
about the baldwin motor works sign I found as well?

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... =5&t=72416