Railroad Forums 

• Question about a MILW "great dome" car

• Discussion relating to The Chicago & North Western, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road), including mergers, acquisitions, and abandonments.
Discussion relating to The Chicago & North Western, the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific, the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (Milwaukee Road), including mergers, acquisitions, and abandonments.

Moderator: Komachi

#1473047  by TCurtin

What kind of trucks were under a Milw "Great Dome" car? Were they 61-NO outside swing hanger trucks? (I think one of the "great dome" cars, and I do not know which RR, had the 61-NO trucks) Also, what did a great dome weigh?
 #1473917  by TCurtin

Please forgive me abysmal lack of knowledge of the difference between a "Great Dome" and a "Super Dome." I am, after all, only a poor New Haven RR expert from southern New England. The reason I am asking this question is that NH's 1949 stainless diners and grill cars used 61-NO outside swing hanger trucks, and I am looking to determine where else they were used. Not many passenger cars in the modern era were heavy enough to need 6-wheel trucks, so I'm wondering where they showed up