Railroad Forums 

• BQ23-7

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

#691410  by atsf sp

Too bad none of these exist anymore. They were just so ugly that they were cool looking engines.
 #691541  by tomjohn

I have the complete drawings of this loco if anyone would like them..

Tom
 #691642  by atsf sp

How much more space did the crew have in the cab than on a modern wide cab today such as a ES44?
 #691649  by MEC407

The BQs were meant to seat five people in the cab, if I recall correctly. A modern safety cab locomotive, be it GE or EMD, generally provides seating for three people, and you might be able to fit a fourth person if he brings his own chair, but five would be a pretty tight squeeze.
 #711538  by lvrr325

I'm not sure how accurate the Lionel U18B is - it looks like it was a compromise of a clone of the Athearn U30B, designed to fit the same chassis as Lionel was using for it's GP9 - which itself is a clone of the Athearn GP9 shell. I know Athearn's GE U-series have the same problem as their EMDs - the hood is a scale foot too wide for motor clearance. The U18 also has the too-wide hoods on it.

While the Lionel GP9 is similar in many ways it also exhibits a number of differences from an Athearn product - it was a clone tooled up about 1959 after Lionel and Athearn parted ways.

Lionel's GP30 was an all new tool with a scale-width hood done by Kader in Hong Kong and became a Bachmann product after Lionel quit, most recently available as a Spectrum locomotive.
 #939241  by daylight4449

Stupid though, but is the cab capable of being replicated?
 #944351  by EDM5970

With enough money, anything can be replicated. How deep are your pockets? But why would you want to replicate one of those beasties? They make a CF-7 look pretty neat, which they were- (And I'm well qualified to make that last statement-)
 #1170891  by Tadman

When I was a kid, the CSX ran these uglies along the ex-C&O/PM in Southwest Michigan. They never made it out of Family Lines gray. By that time I believe the windows were plated over due to trailing-only status.

And they were stinking ugly. I remember being in awe of how something could be so ugly.
 #1421368  by b&m 1566

Reviving an old thread here.
Did all these units come with reused EMD trucks like those of the U18b's?