Railroad Forums 

• Evolution Series locos for Pakistan

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

#1408082  by MEC407

From Railway Gazette:
Railway Gazette wrote:The first of 55 Evolution Series ES43ACi diesel locomotives which GE Transportation is building for Pakistan Railways is undergoing final testing ahead of delivery from the USA.
. . .
The first contract for the supply of Evolution Series locomotives to South Asia was signed by Pakistan Railways on June 20 2015. Minister of Railways Khawaja Saad Rafique said 40 of the GE locomotives would be used to haul imported coal from Karachi to the Sahiwal and Jamshoro power stations, and 15 would be used on general freight services.
Read the rest of the article at: http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/trac ... leted.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1408112  by Allen Hazen

Thanks for the notice! And good to see that GE is still designing for the world market, not just producing indistinguishable North American models.
--
The link has a photo, but not a good one: only the front quarter or so of the unit is visible, and there is a piece of factory equipment blocking the view of the truck. Let's hope that someone sees one testing on the Erie (I assume, since the word is that Erie does exports while more and more North American production gets shifted to the non-union plant) test track and posts some good photos. It's a hood unit, with a small nose, and what look like bigger front windows than domestic units: maybe Pakistani's don't throw stones at trains?
Story notes that it is designed for use in hot climate: perhaps the "ES43" designation marks a lower guaranteed power output than on domestic GEVO units. (On the other hand, maybe GE just varies the second digit of the model designation to mark different models: the big, GEVO-16, units for China are ES59 and those for Brazil are ES58.)

And the weight is given as 137 tonnes: a bit over 50,000 pounds per axle.

I hope we learn more about these locomotives!
 #1408235  by obsessed railfan

This is great news more GE export locomotives will be on their way soon.

As many already know, it is GE standard practice to use the number to designate traction horsepower in its domestic and export model designations. In this case, the ES43ACi has 4,353hp for traction, so it seems like an accurate model designation. But interestingly, it is known GE also likes to "round up" the number in some of their model designations. For example, the ES58ACi has 5,750hp for traction. This is also true for some of GE's domestic models, the B23-7 (2,250hp) and the current ET44AC (4,365hp), for example.

But in the case of the ES43ACi, perhaps they may also have chosen the "43" to differentiate it from the ES44AC domestic production. Despite the "i", GE may not have wanted a similarly named export ES44ACi.
 #1408239  by MEC407

The article states a horsepower rating of 4,563, but doesn't say whether that's the traction rating or strictly the rating of the engine itself.
 #1408256  by obsessed railfan

The traction horsepower quotes I listed are directly from GE Transportation's website. The ES43ACi is listed as 4,563 gross / 4,353 traction hp.

However, looking at the current products again, I noticed an ES44ACi export locomotive also exists.
 #1408269  by NorthWest

The ES44ACi is essentially a regular ES44AC given greater capacity in high heat with a larger radiator section and some other changes.
They are designed for Australian railroads in the Pilbara.

That isn't to say that this couldn't be given the same model designation as there is precedent for GE giving widely different locomotives the same designation.
 #1408303  by renrut44

Due to the smaller loading gauge, some GE GEVO powered export locos utilise a different method for cooling charged air. In the case of the South African ES40ACi may have reverted to air to air?, hence the lower HP
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Afr ... ass_44-000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Export spec sheets http://www.getransportation.com/locomot ... ght-weight" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Similar height limitations/restrictions will apply when adapting the GEVO for use over the Australian standard gauge interstate open access network. With Australia having a 134 tonne mass (any weight yet for the Pakistani units) limit, GE's designers only have limited options. For some markets like Europe, the GEVO is probably too big for the loading gauge

The ES44ACi mentioned above is captive to isolated mine systems in the north of West Australia
 #1408371  by Allen Hazen

Renrut--
Interesting observations. Thanks!
Re: "With Australia having a 134 tonne mass (any weight yet for the Pakistani units) limit," the article that MEC407 linked says the new units for Pakistan are 137 tonnes.
---
As for Gevo units maybe being too big for European loading gauges… I assume that is why GE tried the "Powerhaul" engine on the British Class 70. South Africa, I have the impression, has a fairly generous loading gauge for a 3'6" track gauge rail system: Sout African locomotives are a lot bigger than, say, New Zealand's. How does Queensland Rail's 3'6" gauge system compare in this regard. I think I remember seeing that GE (and their licensee, formerly known as Goninan) were trying to market the Powerhaul concept to QR.
 #1408387  by NorthWest

Queensland's is rather variable. There are some places, though many now abandoned, with a rather ridiculous loading gauge and weight limits while in other areas it is the same as the interstate network.

The 3 UGL Rail PH37ACmai prototypes have been sold to Pacific National.
 #1408445  by renrut44

To answer Allen's question, The SA loading gauge is roughly the same as Europe, Google the SA Afro 4000 fiasco. Some detail here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Afr ... _Afro_4000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The UK is ridiculously small, even the FCAB 30" gauge diagram (1888-1928) was larger

GE still requires the 7FDL as a medium speed offering for the export market (not only size [include cooling modules]- also weight), The P616 (1500rpm) does not seem to have gained acceptance, apart from the UK (problems with locos self immolating), and South Korea. The sale in Australia is an aberration. The locos were demos that non of the punters was prepared to test, they have sat around for 3 years. Were discounted to Pacific National as a sweetener, part of negotiations for a contract to supply PN with long term locomotive maintenance services. Australian rail operators are lean and mean, institutional share owners use profit per employee statistics to gauge performance. Oz operators do not generally own the rail they run over (open access), and can't see profitability in maintaining the large backshops, so loved by prior government owners

Over 100 second hand Queensland locos have been imported into South Africa over the last 3 Years, and are running on Southern African rail, require coupler height adjustment, and conversion to vacuum brakes
 #1408463  by NorthWest

Hey, TCDD has bought 20 PH37ACis, and they're building 30 for yet unknown customers...
And yes, the Aussie Powerhauls were given in a sweet deal that also included 3 C44acis that have sat unsold for years. UGL apparently expects all new locomotives to be imported from Erie, which will probably be in a while since there is more SG motive power in Australia than is currently needed.
There is some debate as to whether or not the GEVO could fit in the standard interstate loading gauge. It appears to, but not if the extreme NSW-mandated muffler is included. Interesting times.
I'm also not sure why GE didn't try to slim down a 2800 class to compete with the GT 42CUs. I'm guessing the 88 class has much to do with it, but I haven't heard many reports of them actually running...