Railroad Forums 

• 44 tonner Question(s)

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

#1362484  by XC Tower

How many of this unit were sold by GE? When did production cease? Which Class I's bought them? (I've seen photos of PRR units parked in Corry, PA, and Oil City, PA) Lastly, who had the largest number of them?
Thank you for any information.

XC
 #1362621  by Allen Hazen

The Wikipedia article Dutch Railnut linked to is a good start on information about this locomotive model. Of the internet links given at the bottom of that article, one is a roster that will give an answer to the question of which Class I railroads bought them. There is also a reference to a two-part article in the (dead-tree format) magazine "Extra 2200 South" from the 1970s: if you can obtain these, they are a source of LOTS of information (including information on the "phases," or design variants, built over the decade and a half of GE 44-tonner production. (I have copies, and will consult them to answer specific questions.)

Random factoids:
The Pennsylvania had the largest fleet… and regretted it: they discovered, after buying them, that they weren't powerful enough to replace the steam switchers they planned to replace with them. The New Haven, I think, had the second largest fleet: at least one of theirs was, I think, transferred to the Connecticut Company, the New Haven's trolley-line subsidiary, and used for switching in part of street trackage. And, if you are in Australia, one of the 44-tonners taken there during WW II by the U.S. military and transferred to Australian railways has been preserved, in a railway museum in Adelaide.