Railroad Forums 

• F.E.C. might-have-been

• Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.
Discussion of General Electric locomotive technology. Current official information can be found here: www.getransportation.com.

Moderators: MEC407, AMTK84

#1356287  by Allen Hazen

The "Trains" (= Kalmbach) Locomotive Annual for 2015 (which reached my usual rail fan shop last week) has a cover picture of and an article on the Florida East Coast's new and brightly coloured ES44C4 locomotives…
Which reminded me that the ES44C4 isn't GE's FIRST proposal for an A1A-A1A. I have seen a drawing of a proposed but never-built A1A-A1A GE-Ingersol-Rand boxcar from the 1930s. As I recall, it would have used the larger, 800 hp, version of the IR six-cylnder engine (the version used in one Erie boxcar switcher and one 2-D-2 experimental built for the New York Central), and it was for passenger service: I assume the idler axles allowed for the weight of a steam generator.

I don't know if GE pitched this idea to the F.E.C. in particular, but I think it would have been ideal for the Key West Extension. FEC was an oil-burning railroad (Florida doesn't seem all THAT far from the coal mines of Appalachia, so they may have adopted oil-fired steam locomotives at least partly for smoke abatement), and I can't imagine that the Keys (small islands surround by salt water,with a sizeable town on Key West) had a superfluity of fresh water, so the Key West Extension would (hurricanes and bankruptcy aside) have been a good place to introduce road-service diesels!

(So, if some modeller wants to scratch-build an elongated version of the GE-IR oxcab and paint it in FEC colours…)
 #1356288  by Allen Hazen

GE's model 716 traction motor was, I believe, the immediate … inspiration? … for EMD's traction motor: it was used on a number of early EMD locomotives with GE electrical gear, and when EMD switched to in-house electricals they copied it. It was also used on some non-EMD locomotives, such as the Illinois Central's two big CC transfer units.

For those interested in traction motor history… S. Berliner, as part of his (confusingly organized but very rich) website on box-cab locomotives, has put a variety of drawings and documents related to the 716 motor on-line at
http://sbiii.com/boxcbge2.html#ge716trk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;