Railroad Forums 

• Rearranging this Forum

• Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.
Discussion of the historical operations related to the Central Railroad of New Jersey; Lehigh & Hudson River; Lehigh & New England; Lehigh Valley; and the Reading Company. Visit the Anthracite Railroads Historical Society for more information.

Moderators: David, scottychaos, CAR_FLOATER, metman499, Franklin Gowen, Marty Feldner

#1049031  by Paul Miller

I've always liked this forum since I joined 5 years ago. I've learned a lot about railroads, spoken with some great railfans, and have met so many great people due to the forum. I've gotten a pretty good education about the L&HR. I certainly liked it more when each railroad had its own thread, probably because it was easier to navigate. For some reason I don't get the pop-ups either, I think my security walls in my computer block them so it's not an issue on my end. One of the better things with the newer format is that I am starting to get interested in the other lines around NJ and how they tied in with the L&HR. Done some great hiking lately because of the L&NE threads and have been able to contribute a few things to them as well. It does appear that there are less comments and newer subjects than when I first joined since the new format was initiated. So in the long run, it may be better to go back to the individual threads. I'm gonna stay on regardless, as I hope everyone else will. It'd be a shame to lose such knowledgeable people. I think all you guys keep the spirit of the Fallen Flags alive with your stories, memories, education, and pictures for those of us who became fans after Conrail. I appreciate those who have run this site free for me for the past 5 years and all those who have helped me in my searches. Thanks to all for enriching my knowledge, and most of all Happy Memorial Day to those of you on this forum who fought for us to keep our freedom of speech and be able to even comment here. Dave, let me know if you're coming up to NJ this summer and we'll explore! Marty, probably said it 100 times but it's never enough THANK YOU!
 #1049442  by Jeff Smith

FYI, this is on my to-do list. Hopefully I'll have some time in the near future. If I don't, someone may want to <BUMP> this thread on ocassion. For those of you who were moderators, please identify which of the predecessor railroads you handled.
 #1049476  by scottychaos

I was the LV forum moderator..
I agree with nearly everything that has already been said here..I never did see the logic behind the consolidation of the forums,
and I agree it did make things quite a bit user-unfriendly.

I think (if I recall correctly) that the logic was that some forums were very slow, had little participation, and combining them all might make for one more active forum..
well ok, but some forums were *not* slow! ;) (such as the LV forum), and lumping in the LV with all the other Anthracite railroads basically killed
the "LV community" that had existed when the LV forum was its own stand-alone group..

I understand that some of the smaller railroads, like L&HR (just to pick one) might not have a big following,
and a stand-alone L&HR forum might be "slow"..well, my response to that is..so what? ;)
The mere fact that the L&HR forum exists at all will allow other fans to easily find it, and then join-in..
the forum has to exist in the first place, before it can grow..

Each of our "fallen flag" railroads deserves its own little individual home here on RR.net, because then the fans of that railroad
will have their own little community they can participate in..IMO, individual forums *increase* discussion, because people then know where to go to
find the discussion about the railroad they are interested in..

so yeah, un-doing the consolidation is definitely the way to go! Image
im all for it as well..

and..I would add a new one, that I dont think has been here before. NYO&W.

Scot
 #1049489  by charlie6017

scottychaos wrote:and..I would add a new one, that I dont think has been here before. NYO&W.
Totally agree........I find the NYO&W very interesting and I also think this road deserves it's own forum.

Charlie
 #1049495  by Franklin Gowen

Jeff Smith wrote:FYI, this is on my to-do list. Hopefully I'll have some time in the near future. If I don't, someone may want to <BUMP> this thread on ocassion.
Thank you, Jeff!
Jeff Smith wrote:For those of you who were moderators, please identify which of the predecessor railroads you handled.
I was the moderator of the Reading Company forum.
 #1049549  by Alloy

I supported Mike and Otto in their consolidation, because I could see that there were forums that saw little or no activity on the board. If it was going to make administration easier, I thought they should do it.

However, given a choice again, I’d like to see fallen flags have their own forums. Even if they’re slow, I’d agree with Scot that they have more potential to grow if they’re already set up as individual sites.

This thread is about the Anthracite roads, but I’d like to see the process extended to some other ‘shotgun marriages’ on the forum.
 #1049561  by David

Thank you Jeff for your comments--I was moderator of the L&HR and L&NE forums. There have been some VERY interesting stories about the L&HR placed on here within the last six+ months ago by an individual that remembered many real life times when he was at a young age. I could not wait to see another story about my favorite North Jersey railroad by him. I am not sure that he either ran out of those fascinating stories or he was discouraged putting more on because of a lack of comments to these stories. I hope if these railroads are separated again, those stories and other comments per individual railroads will follow back to the "new" set up. Also--I would like to see a forum for the NYO&W. That railroad ran to Weehawken NJ and there is hardly any information on here about it.
 #1049610  by David

We will need a CNJ Moderator.
 #1049679  by Jeff Smith

I think I've got some mods in the wings, but if there are any suggestions/volunteers, PM me. I'm not always on top of the PM's.

I think the way it will work is I will (re-)create the forums. The exisiting moderaters of this forum can move their topics to their own forums (this is done from the drop-down mod quick tools; please be sure to un-check the "leave shadow topic" box).

Once I have this set up I'll post here again and you all can start the process.

I want to stress this isn't a criticism of the prior consolidation; I understand there were strong feelings. I wish I had more time to spend on this; baby steps!

One thing I'd like to ask, and again, I don't always have time to do complete searches. We have an N&W forum, but not a Southern? Am I seeing that right? Any other well-followed major fallen flags you'd like to suggest?
 #1049683  by toolmaker

A question for those of us who subscribe to the existing forum. I think this means we have to find the new break outs and re-subscribe as desired?
 #1050320  by CAR_FLOATER

This is good news, good news indeed. Here's to hoping this all gets "fixed" in the near future.

Now I may be jumping the gun here, but if it means anything (and I assume this is Jeff's decision, and his alone), I'd like to be placed in consideration for the Moderator's position for a future CNJ or NYO&W forum. I already do this over on the "other" .net forum, but traffic over there is all but dead on those forums, surprisingly. I'd like to "start fresh', if at all possible. Just thought I'd put it out here is all.....

Ralph Heiss
 #1123739  by Franklin Gowen

We're in another, even busier weekend right now (Merry Christmas, everyone!), but this topic richly deserves a <BUMP>.

Is the plan still the same as Jeff last left it seven months ago, or is there more to discuss? IMHO, we had the past problems and the present solution clearly defined. There was also a broad consensus in favor of moving forward with recreation of individual fallen-flag subforums. Though a "miracle cure" is understood to not be a guaranteed result here, we still need to take action in order to (hopefully) stop the decline.