Railroad Forums 

• "Alliance"

• Discussion relating to the Burlington Northern and its predecessors Great Northern, Northern Pacific, Chicago Burlington & Quincy, Seattle Portland & Seattle, St. Louis - San Francisco, and their subsidiaries. Visit the Friends of the Burlington Northern for more information.
Discussion relating to the Burlington Northern and its predecessors Great Northern, Northern Pacific, Chicago Burlington & Quincy, Seattle Portland & Seattle, St. Louis - San Francisco, and their subsidiaries. Visit the Friends of the Burlington Northern for more information.
 #86528  by CRail

I was looking through my Modern Diesels book and noticed that all of the BN locos had the word "Alliance" with a diameter symbol next to it. What does that mean?

#86717  by AmtrakFan

They have a major shop in Alliance, NE so that could be it.

John

#88316  by Yonge

AmtrakFan is correct. “Alliance” on a BN loco means that it was assigned to Alliance, NE for maintenance. Some other assignments I can remember seeing on BN locos are:

Clyde (Cicero, IL)
Galesburg (IL)
Glendive (MT)
Havre (MT)
Interbay (Seattle)
Lincoln (NE)
Northtown (Minneapolis)
Springfield (MO)

#89716  by AmtrakFan

They also had Denver on them.

John

#134089  by emd_SD_60

Was this the same for the SP units? Most of them had "Roseville" or "Bay City" and even "Los Angeles" on the cab sides, right under the numbers. I guess those were the SP shops.
 #563922  by atsf sp

AmtrakFan wrote:They have a major shop in Alliance, NE so that could be it.
If you haven't seen the shop and your a BN/BNSF fan, you must go. Plus most of the engines there are executive painted SD70macs and there is a BN C30-7 on a side track. But it is getting striped down.