Railroad Forums 

• F45 Cabs

• Discussion relating to the Burlington Northern and its predecessors Great Northern, Northern Pacific, Chicago Burlington & Quincy, Seattle Portland & Seattle, St. Louis - San Francisco, and their subsidiaries. Visit the Friends of the Burlington Northern for more information.
Discussion relating to the Burlington Northern and its predecessors Great Northern, Northern Pacific, Chicago Burlington & Quincy, Seattle Portland & Seattle, St. Louis - San Francisco, and their subsidiaries. Visit the Friends of the Burlington Northern for more information.
 #562580  by Death Star

I heard one is being used as part of a restaraunt in Battle Ground Washington. Don't know about these though. Interesting find!
 #607357  by Tadman

Komach, you would need a monster basement. One of these cabs could be a tool shed in your back yard with plenty of space for the dog to spend the night as well. Or if you really want to get creative, you could plate over the windshields and cover the back - voila, you have the world's first F45 smoker. With this, you could make ribs and smoked meats all day long. Call me when it's ready.
 #609481  by Santa Fe buff

Death Star wrote:I heard one is being used as part of a restaraunt in Battle Ground Washington. Don't know about these though. Interesting find!
They appear to be spar parts that would be obviously used to replaced a damaged cab on a Burlington Northern EMD F45. Abandoned and forgotten since the EMD F45 model is now in museums and in scrapyards. Burlington Northern wouldn't have any say-so, after the Burlington Northern - Atchison, Topeka, & Santa Fe merge, that is. If a railroad did take charge of these cabs, it would be BNSF. Until then, they are likely BNSF property, even though BNSF themselves may not know. They will probably be sold for scrap, or refurbished for display, or decorative uses, <like the use posted in the quote.>, in museums and other public train displays. Those heavy-metal 1960s-1970s cabs would give you quite a bit of payout for scrap, but again, they are a part of history. I'm glad you've brought this up, I too noticed this on Rail-Pictures.net.

Josh
 #736718  by bwallace

Yes the F-45's died to soon on the BN I think they were only about 15 years old when they were retired and sold for scrap. I remember seeing a picture in Trains of some of them being towed to scrap to Jos Simon's scrapyard in Washington State by first generation geeps. Ironic how these lasted only 15 years but BN has kept SD-9's for 50+ years.
 #737100  by TB Diamond

The V-20 prime mover was no doubt at least partially to blame for the F45 demise on BN.
 #761267  by GN 599

Tadman wrote:Komach, you would need a monster basement. One of these cabs could be a tool shed in your back yard with plenty of space for the dog to spend the night as well. Or if you really want to get creative, you could plate over the windshields and cover the back - voila, you have the world's first F45 smoker. With this, you could make ribs and smoked meats all day long. Call me when it's ready.
I dont know if you are familiar with the SP's concrete phone booths but they would be a perfect smoker. :-D
 #812079  by Komachi

Tadman said...

"Komach, you would need a monster basement. One of these cabs could be a tool shed in your back yard with plenty of space for the dog to spend the night as well. Or if you really want to get creative, you could plate over the windshields and cover the back - voila, you have the world's first F45 smoker. With this, you could make ribs and smoked meats all day long. Call me when it's ready."

Yeah, I have a rough idea of how big those things are. There was an article in Model Railroader back in the mid '90s about a guy (Dentist) who bought the cab of an E or F unit and put it down in his layout room. It was cut at the bulkhead between the cab and electrical cabinet and just below the floor. And, yes, it had the nose.

Here's a pic I found on the trains.com site...

http://cs.trains.com/trccs/themes/trc/c ... =800&h=532

That's what I'm talking about.

Although, the smoker idea isn't a bad one either... :P