Railroad Forums 

• CB&Q Galena Illinois Branch.

• Discussion relating to the Burlington Northern and its predecessors Great Northern, Northern Pacific, Chicago Burlington & Quincy, Seattle Portland & Seattle, St. Louis - San Francisco, and their subsidiaries. Visit the Friends of the Burlington Northern for more information.
Discussion relating to the Burlington Northern and its predecessors Great Northern, Northern Pacific, Chicago Burlington & Quincy, Seattle Portland & Seattle, St. Louis - San Francisco, and their subsidiaries. Visit the Friends of the Burlington Northern for more information.
 #249503  by BNSFDS-10

Does anyone know when the CB&Q[or BN If it lasted that long]
Abandoned the little Galena Branch where it left the CB&Q main line at
"Galena Jct" and ran East into the actual Town of Galena Illinois?. I have
been looking for this info for quite some time.

#253873  by HDP

I could be wrong, but I don't think there was such a branch. I think Galena JCT is where the IC and Q joint track to East Dubuque starts.

#255725  by route_rock

Yes there was a branch, I know a few guys who ran on it and I do believe Galena Historical society has some info on it.
Good luck in your search if I run inot any of them old heads I will ask.
 #617500  by Engineer Spike

I have been confused here too. Coming north from Savanna, it went to single track across a bridge. After the bridge, the IC came in, and it was 2 MT, in my time. Just before the bridge, a ROW came in on the bluff side. I don't know if this was the Galena Branch, or the CGW.