Railroad Forums 

• Extended cabs on GP50s

• Discussion relating to the Burlington Northern and its predecessors Great Northern, Northern Pacific, Chicago Burlington & Quincy, Seattle Portland & Seattle, St. Louis - San Francisco, and their subsidiaries. Visit the Friends of the Burlington Northern for more information.
Discussion relating to the Burlington Northern and its predecessors Great Northern, Northern Pacific, Chicago Burlington & Quincy, Seattle Portland & Seattle, St. Louis - San Francisco, and their subsidiaries. Visit the Friends of the Burlington Northern for more information.
 #182653  by USRailFan

From photos I've seen, a number of BN GP50s had cabs that extended further backwards than what was standard on these locomotives. What was the reason for these cabs?

#188751  by U-Haul

The extended cabs were applied to five Burlington Northern GP50s. The GP50Ls were designed to acomidate a five person crew. Two people from the caboose, a engineer, and a conductor. I am not sure who the fifth person is.

#188772  by USRailFan

I'd guess the five-man crew would be Engineer, Fireman, Headend brakeman + the Conductor and rear brakeman formerly situated in the caboose.

Does anyone have an interior photo of a cab like this? (Either from a BNSF GP50L or a CSX B23-7Q)

#190155  by GN 599

I had one of those on the point one time, the engineers seat went back, way bacK! :-D

#191692  by Engineer Spike

I had one once, as a conductor. The nose was shorter. There was lots of space behind the engineer. When I had this unit, there were just 3 seats. The cab was about the same as any other engine, just longer.