Railroad Forums 

• B&M ALCO S4 1274

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#1062788  by amtrakhogger

I would hazard a guess it is a box to house cab signal equipment.
 #1062802  by bml1149

It also could be for a device called a "Watchman". It was manufactured by Vapor and was a miniature version of the larger models used in the A cabs to keep the engine from freezing during layovers in cold weather.
 #1486200  by Benjamin Maggi

Sorry to revisit the old thread, but it was either that or create an identically-named new one.

From what I understand, the B&M painted a select few of its Alco switch engines in the McGinnis "Bluebird" blue/white/black scheme. Not all switch engines received this scheme, and within a couple of years it had been simplified. I have seen pictures of #1274 with the front, white cab wall painted black (perhaps to hide the black exhaust stains?). Atlas even released an HO scale model in 2007. (http://archive.atlasrr.com/Images/HOLoc ... 048_TQ.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

Is anyone aware of a picture showing the prototype when new with the three colors? I can find pictures of the black/blue but not of the white cab front.

Thanks.
 #1489362  by Engineer Spike

This unit was a S3. It was in a roundhouse fire, and sent back to Alco for a rebuild. It was upgraded to a S4, and also shipped in the bluebird scheme, which was what B&M's new locomotives were delivered in then.
 #1521818  by bmcdr

To set the record straight and recap what everybody has speculated.

(1) 1274 was originally S-3 1174. Burned in a roundhouse fire at Springfield,Mass. and rebuilt to an S-4 by ALCO in 1957.

(2) 1274 was the ONLY B&M switcher painted in the McGinnis blue, black, and white paint scheme.

(3) Yes, the box in front of the cab on the Engineer's side is a Watchman heater.
AS-463.JPG
AS-463.JPG (589.48 KiB) Viewed 2734 times