Railroad Forums 

• B&M Shelter at Raymond, NH?

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#672384  by B&Mguy

I was wondering if someone might be able to help me out with this question.

I was in Raymond, NH a few days ago taking pictures of the restored depot and railcars on display. There is a small wooden shelter on display behind the depot, and it looks just like many I have seen in old photos over the years. It has been restored and looks very sharp, but there is no indication as to where on the system it came from. (It also could just be a replica they constructed, but I doubt it) Does anyone know what station this shelter might be? I'm trying to catalogue all the B&M stations still standing, and this would be a big help! Thanks!

I tried to enclose a picture, but the file was to large.
 #672528  by eriemike

I saw this same shelter at Raymond about 10 years ago. Looked great back then as well. As I recall, the station sign on it was for Candia.
 #672531  by RRBUFF

I lived in East Candia in the 1940's and there was no building there, only a signal pole to tell the engineer to stop the train for passengers. If you wanted to stop the train you could turn the signal 90 degrees. I rode back and forth to Manchester but I don't remember any building at Candia at that time.
 #672739  by RedLantern

RRBUFF wrote:I lived in East Candia in the 1940's and there was no building there, only a signal pole to tell the engineer to stop the train for passengers. If you wanted to stop the train you could turn the signal 90 degrees. I rode back and forth to Manchester but I don't remember any building at Candia at that time.
I'm surprised signals like that aren't still in widespread use at flag stations. With a clearly marked button to control an electronic signal inside the waiting room, passengers could wait inside, and when a train enters the signal block that the station is in, an automated "train arriving" message could be played over a PA system like they have at the Acela stations. I've seen plenty of people miss trains at flag stops (while I'm out railfanning) because the current system is based on the engineer's ability to spot people standing on the platform. When the wind chill is -20, people tend to wait in their cars for the train to arrive, and if nobody's standing in plain view on the platform, the train just keeps on rolling.
 #673752  by Ridgefielder

How many flagstops are there left in the United States, anyway? The only ones I can think of offhand are a couple on the Adirondack in Upstate New York and one on the Durango & Silverton out in Colorado.
 #674026  by musehobo

Try stopping at the station on a Monday when the museum is open. If a gentleman named Steve is there, he can answer your question. If you want info on any B&M stations still standing in NH, Mass or Maine let me know at [email protected].
I visited almost all locations and did located a few that have been moved.