Railroad Forums 

• Destruction of ex MEC Calais Branch now underway

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#630356  by gokeefe

Judging from the parts of it that I've seen, photos, and anecdotes it was never more than a single track branch, albeit a heavily used one in its hey day. All pictures of bridges that I've seen are single track. There are many other former-MEC lines that have significantly more capacity or ability to add double-track than this one.

That does not in any way shape or form negate or defeat the idea of a side-by-side trail with complementing rail service. If anything this is the best idea I've heard yet for a way to make the two work together. It does mean that creating the trail will need significant amounts of capital to properly, 'shape' the terrain to keep the trail and the ROW relatively close to each other.
 #630595  by rrobserver1

The ROW is 66 feet wide except in certain yard or station locations. This link is for the rail with trail study done by MDOT in the 1999. I beleive the total cost estimate at that time to be in excess of 38 milliom, Brewer to Calais. It could have been done, but at what cost, better to put 38 million into rail.

http://www.maine.gov/mdot/opt/downeast_ ... ummary.htm
 #630640  by gokeefe

For clarification, when discussing the Right of Way (ROW), my reference was the tracked railroad corridor, not the deeded and titled land owned by the railroad.

I am not in the least bit surprised that the Right of Way (ROW) is in fact 66 feet wide. However the rail corridor itself is largely built as single track including supporting infrastructure such as bridges, meaning effectively that substantial new construction would have to take place in order to place a new corridor through the same Right of Way. This new corridor would in all likelihood be the intended multi-use trail and would use a considerable part of the remaing 66 foot Right of Way.

I still think the rail with trails option is more intriguing and potentially the better solution economically for Washington County.
 #630779  by CVRA7

FWIW, I was talking with someone who is involved in the track dept of the Downeast Scenic at the W Springfield train show last weekend and he said the DSRR is hoping to get some of the salvaged rail and other track material to have on hand for rebuilding some of their lighter-railed sidings.
 #630861  by calaisbranch

It seems that a lot of grade crossings on the branch had 2 tracks with a mainline and siding track. A switch would be to each side of the crossing, too. I can't remember another line that had so many sidings that were designed this way. I can think of like 4 right off the top, Columbia, Unionville, Sullivan and Ellsworth. You would think someone could find the conscience to donate some of the rail to DESR. As far as the ties, maybe a retaining wall. :wink:
 #630864  by gokeefe

The thought comes to mind that one of the reasons they might not be able to get the surplus rail is that the State budgeted sales from scrap as part of the project. Donating the rails may cause the project to go over budget especially if the receipts from scrap sales were based on last year's costs. I'm sure there would be plenty of the good people at Maine DOT that would go along with this idea as long as there are no budgetary constraints.
 #631296  by Cosmo

Heh...
the way the bottom dropped out of the scrap market, there's no WAY they could make budget unless the steel prices go back up!
 #631317  by gokeefe

Cosmo,

Of course it all really depends on what the price they budgeted for was. In situations like this with a market based commodity the accountants would usually factor in variability in the price and not make assumptions about a high price. What may not happen is that the state won't make as much money from the scrap as they thought they would. It's unlikely they were going to cover all their costs just by scrapping the rail but perhaps they thought they were going to come close.

Assuming the original budgeted price was 15-30% less than the value of the scrap last year what may have been attractice about the plan was that there was a potential for a situation where if the price of the scrap was high enough the state would be able to take the line apart for low or no cost at all.

I guess that would have been considered 'progress'. In many ways it really is. This line really should get rebuilt some day but I guess only time will tell.
Last edited by gokeefe on Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #631754  by Mikejf

Eastport Branch is and has been gone for a while from the run around at Ayer junction to the end of track. Some paved walking trails through the reservation (Pleasant Point Passamaquoddy Tribe) turn back to dirt towards Eastport.
Mike
 #635283  by coltsfoot

Eastport had a reputation of a place 'nothing ever happened'.

I was there as a kid in 50's and it was like a ghost town. Everything closed up.

Proposal. Proposal. Proposal for something economic progressive. Nothing ever happens.

Was it not the Passamquoddy (sp?) that objected to any railroad being rebuilt ?? I recall they settled for a money settlement and invested in businesses and now all money gone ?

As to State of Maine. Kind of dumb to surrender a railroad along the coast as such. Maybe in 2050 Amtrak wants to go to St. John....Halifax ?