Railroad Forums 

• B&M F7A 4265

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#315578  by b&m 1566

Saw a picture on nerail with the BM engine 4265 at the Billerica Shops with the caption under the picture stating that the engine had caught fire; is that true? Or was there something else close to it on fire? Did it, or almost decommission the engine for good?
Link to the picture: http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... on_&_Maine

#315878  by TomNelligan

That wasn't the end of the 4265 in revenue service. It was repaired, got the blue dip paint job, and ran a while longer on the B&M before its retirement. I don't remember the exact nature of the fire, but it was something in the carbody, not external.
 #345947  by ProRail

It says in the NER Picture that it still survives to this day?

So where is B&M 4265?

I know the 4266 is operable at the Conway Scenic RR, and 4268 is also there as a static display.

But where is 4265 being kept and in what condition?

#346125  by greenus90

4265 is in Gorham, NH, on static display. It is displaying the same thru rust that 4268 is showing- that is, on the side panels. Not sure if the prime mover is still on board.

#346127  by b&m 1566

It's just up the road from the 4266 and 4268, in Gorham, NH. It's sitting on a display track next to the station and a Grand Trunk Steam engine can't remember the number but is a 0-6-0 switcher. I believe the 4265 is owned by the Gorham Historical Society. It was delivered to Gorham about 3 to 5 years ago by train from Syracuse, NY where it sat in a rail yard with brush growing around it.

Only engine missing from the B&M F7's is 4267. It was traded in for a new locomotive! My question for that one is: is it still around? I have never seen any pictures of it.

#346145  by greenus90

Here's the 4265A and the 4268B in action; since the 4265 is still in MAroon I assume this picture is prior to the fire which sidelined it for a time, before getting the final Blue paintjob- amazingly, both still exist, the 4265 in Gorham and the 4268B rebuilt to look like an F3B somewhere in NJ:

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... &key=bmcdr

#346168  by b&m 1566

greenus90 wrote:4265 is in Gorham, NH, on static display. It is displaying the same thru rust that 4268 is showing- that is, on the side panels. Not sure if the prime mover is still on board.
Posted just about the same time I see. The prime mover I believe has been taken out with in the last few years. Just like the 4266 and 4268, the 4265 was sold, to someone or some business that had started to restore it back in the 80’s but never finished it. That's partly the reason for why it still has a blue door on the front of it.
I also notice something funny in the picture you posted. The side panel only says “Boston and” but not Maine. If you look closely at the picture the paneling looks newer from the rest of the engine.

#346251  by truman

Yes, the prime mover has been removed.
Oh, that CN/GT steamer? its a former industrial engine from Everett Ma. painted for CN/GT.

#346597  by b&m 1566

So that steam engine is actually an ex-B&M engine? If that's correct then there is six steam engines left from the B&M and not five.
 #346634  by H.F.Malone

The Gorham 0-6-0 is NOT a former B&M engine-- it was an industrial loco built in 1911 by Baldwin for New England Gas & Coke, later Eastern Gas & Fuel. It went to Steamtown about 1960, and was sold by Steamtown in 1986 or so.

It was never a Grand Trunk engine, until that lettering was put on it at Gorham.

#346711  by truman

Mr. Malone is correct, it was built new for the gas Co., but the tender is from a B&M Mogul.

#350910  by GP40MC 1116

The tracks where 4265 sits on, the main line i mean, are they active? I wasn't sure if they're active or not, I remember going up their when I visited North Conway as a kid years ago, but not since then

#351084  by NHN503

The main line is still active.

#358214  by greenus90

Here's another picture from 1970, showing the "Boston and" (no Maine) side panels on the 4265. Also note on B unit 4267- no grilles on the sides like all F7's have. Looks more like an F3 here. Again, miraculous that both units still exist.

http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?20001 ... 5&BOOL=ANY

#358382  by Rockingham Racer

Every time I've seen this post, I wonder if it's not off to your left.