Railroad Forums 

• Reformatory Branch

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#1430433  by Pat Fahey

Hi
The trip took place on June 8th, 1958, the trip was responded by the Mass Bay RRE, the route of the trip ran Boston -Bedford-Concord, via Bedford and Reformatory branches. to North Billerica-North Chelmsford-Ayer-Worcestor-Gardner-South Ashburnham-Winchendon-Peterboro, New Hampshire-Fitchburg-Boston. Also, the track was out of service between Heywood -Winchendon , trip ran Northbound as far as South Ashburnham.
The train consisted of (3) R.D.C.'s # 6105, # 6152 no number of the third unit, the trip was called the Highliner the price was $ 6.60, and 200 railfans rode the trip .
As for Arthur Butler, I will be seeing him tomorrow, Arthur is a very good friend of mine. Pat
 #1430462  by NashuaActon&Boston

Pat Fahey wrote:Hi
The trip took place on June 8th, 1958, the trip was responded by the Mass Bay RRE, the route of the trip ran Boston -Bedford-Concord, via Bedford and Reformatory branches. to North Billerica-North Chelmsford-Ayer-Worcestor-Gardner-South Ashburnham-Winchendon-Peterboro, New Hampshire-Fitchburg-Boston. Also, the track was out of service between Heywood -Winchendon , trip ran Northbound as far as South Ashburnham.
The train consisted of (3) R.D.C.'s # 6105, # 6152 no number of the third unit, the trip was called the Highliner the price was $ 6.60, and 200 railfans rode the trip .
As for Arthur Butler, I will be seeing him tomorrow, Arthur is a very good friend of mine. Pat
Interesting, thanks for the specifics. Seems odd the excursion would move up the dead end Reformatory branch on such a busy day! :-D
 #1430467  by Pat Fahey

Hi
The trip did not end on the reformatory branch, the consist did return to Boston's North Station, where it started. Pat
 #1430702  by jbvb

I'm sure collecting the mileage to Reformatory was a plus for many RRE members. The overall plan for this trip, like many others the RRE organized between 1950 and 1980, was "as much freight-only line as we can in a long day, threatened routes get priority".
 #1431934  by NashuaActon&Boston

jbvb wrote:I'm sure collecting the mileage to Reformatory was a plus for many RRE members. The overall plan for this trip, like many others the RRE organized between 1950 and 1980, was "as much freight-only line as we can in a long day, threatened routes get priority".
Right, makes sense entirely. The Reformatory Branch yard in Concord seems to have been a virtual ghost town in the last 15 years of it's official existence. My father lived in Carlisle and went to CCHS in the late '50s/early '60s. Graduated in 1961 when the yard was technically still operational. He has no memories of the yard being active during this time and he drove past it almost daily for four years..I'd to love see more late-era images..
 #1432012  by b&m 1566

When was the Reformatory Branch cut from the Framingham and Lowell? I’ve been under impression that interchanges between the two lines were very infrequent and never saw any regular use; is this true?
 #1432014  by F-line to Dudley via Park

b&m 1566 wrote:When was the Reformatory Branch cut from the Framingham and Lowell? I’ve been under impression that interchanges between the two lines were very infrequent and never saw any regular use; is this true?
During the Depression. It crossed the river so many times on the last mile to West Concord that the incredibly infrequent moves weren't worth the cost of maintaining so many trestles.
 #1433821  by B&M 1227

I've heard 1900 thrown around before, occurring as a result of the Fitchburg RR acquisition. For a time the NA&B/Lexington Branch were both under B&L ownership and what little traffic produced off the NA&B could move to Boston without an around the horn move through Nashua. With the addition of the Fitchburg, it was deemed redundant. There was still service to Reformatory Station until the mid 20s.
 #1433835  by The EGE

The line was extended past Concord Center to Prison station (renamed Reformatory in 1888) and the Nashua, Acton & Boston in 1879. It never connected with the Framingham & Lowell, which was controlled by the Old Colony. Passenger service over the connection was only operated in 1885; it was out of service by 1887 and removed around the turn of the century.
 #1433883  by b&m 1566

Oh wow, I didn't realize it was that short lived, thanks for the info.