Railroad Forums 

• MEC through Wiscasset

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#262526  by scottychaos

Could anyone give me a history/timeline of the former MEC line through Wiscasset Maine?
from around WWII to the present?

Was the line ever operated by Guilford?
I know they run excursions on the line today, is any freight still run?
who actually owns the line today?
thanks!
Scot

#262562  by bwparker1

Scot:

Line has been owned by the State of Maine for several years, I don't know the exact date ownership changed hands, but I think it was sold by Guilford.

Freight does still run on the line. Mostly, Cement goes from Thomaston to Rockland to be loaded onto a barge, bound for NYC and Boston.

I think there is some freight interchanged in Brunswick, mostly sheet steel for the BIW Hardings Facility, and some Perlite for Chemrock?

See Photos here, and Bud, "WolfMom" probably can fill you in on the details.

http://photos.nerail.org/show/?byrail:1 ... rn_Railway

Cheers,
Brooks

#263499  by jcpatten

The MEC ran frequent trains (weekly or greater) on the Rockland Branch up until Guilford took over. After Guilford took over they sold the branch to the State of Maine in I think the mid-80s and there was no traffic at all (which was too bad because my high school was next to the tracks).

Maine Coast Railroad came in either 1989 or early 1990s and made a successful run of it for many years. When the State was getting ready to upgrade the tracks Maine Coast left (I don't recall why but I think it had to do with contract renegotiation) and Safe Handling (of Auburn) came in and ran the line for two years until the upgrade was done. Then Maine Eastern Railroad started operating the line about 3 or so years ago.

#268952  by scottychaos

Thanks guys, I appeciate the info..

how about the MEC through Farmington, ME?
whats the current status there?

(im asking about Wiscasset and Farmington for a future model railroad..modeling some Maine 2-footers.)

thanks!
Scot