Railroad Forums 

• Named Steam Locomotive - Signs ?

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#1520456  by scottb613

Hi Folks,

Question - I know the B&M had named steam locomotives from a competition among school children - great marketing ploy - I believe this was just on the Mountains and Pacifics - while I can readily find the names used - would anyone know of the source for the full text on each sign ? I believe in addition to the name of the locomotive - it also contained the name of the school and name of the student that submitted the winning name ? A close up photograph would be a great help - so I can see the layout and fonts used would be helpful as well...

Thanks...

Regards,
Scott
 #1520472  by edbear

The names were on the nameplates and the youngsters were invited to the several naming celebrations at North Station. When I get a chance I'll look them up in one of the back issues of B & M Employee Magazine unless someone beats me to it. The 1947 Pullman Standard cars in both the B&M and MEC fleets also had the names of the schoolkids who named them. I don't know if the names were on the nameboards, but they are shown in the railroad issued brochure introducing the new cars.
 #1521329  by edbear

An engine naming ceremony was conducted at North Station, December 11, 1937. 20 engines were named. The winners and runners up were named as were their hometowns and schools in the December, 1937 issue of B & M Employees Magazine. There is photo coverage including a lunch for the winners, families, etc. at Hotel Manger. Opera singer Lily Pons, who had 4108 named after her, attended. I'd have to find the other naming ceremony or ceremonies. The article is probably way too big send to Railroad.net. Contact me off-line and I'll copy it and e-mail it.
 #1521814  by bmcdr

P-1015.JPG
P-1015.JPG (374.42 KiB) Viewed 5713 times
Left click on the image to enlarge.
 #1522237  by scottb613

bmcdr wrote:
P-1015.JPG
Left click on the image to enlarge.
Hi...

Thanks so much for sharing - great image - now I can copy the format even if I substitute names and places to protect the innocent - LOL...

Regards,
Scott

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk