Railroad Forums 

• saugus branch question

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#1520376  by The EGE

Correct. That old yard certainly looks like the leg of a wye, but there was never actually a wye.
 #1520432  by doublebell

Lookinmg straight down, a wye looks possible. It is not possible because there is about a 12 foot difference in elivation there.
John, the guy in the blue car with the wing on back
 #1520449  by tom18287

yeah but the eastern route used to be at grade the raised it in the early 1900s.
My guess is they aquired the land to do it but never implemented it. what are the chances the property lines would be shaped like that otherwise?

also, i was surprised to see the boston revere beach and lynn ROW is right on the other side of the eastern rt. from this location.
 #1520473  by edbear

While it might look like it was planned as a wye it wasn't. Things might look like something from the air, but appear entirely different on the ground. Here are couple examples. Find any of the Metropolitan aqueducts in the Boston area, western suburbs. I know Elm Street in Framingham. From the ground, it looks like an abandoned railroad embankment & recent too because of the lack of brush. People ask me what railroad was that. It wasn't. It's a 6 ft, diameter pipe in an earthen embankment. Not too far away, people ask is that building on Elm Street the one-time Saxonville railroad depot. Nope, it was a building on the grounds of the Pinewood Golf Club converted to a dwelling.