Railroad Forums 

• K8 Consolidation ?

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#1507908  by scottb613

Hi Folks,

Been planning to start a new model - preliminary research - still kind of a tossup between a K8 Consolidation or the mighty T1 Berkshire... Would anyone know of any published plans for either of these locomotives ? Any back issue of a magazine that may have had them ?

Any help appreciated...

Thanks...

Regards,
Scott
 #1507923  by Pat Fahey

Hi Scott
Just wondering what scale are you building I'm? Furthermore, is the model going to be a Live Steam model?
One place you could start if you have the book Minuteman Steam, that was put out by the Boston & Maine Historical Society, you can find side elevation drawing.
Also, you could contact the society, to ask if they have any plans in there stored archives, just a suggestion. Pat.
 #1507982  by scottb613

Hi Pat,

Thanks for the tips - I see the book on eBay - maybe I'll pick it up...

Live Steam ? Sorry - no - nothing as elegant as that - I model virtually for "Open Rails"...

https://live.staticflickr.com/4868/3268 ... d61b_o.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/328 ... f311_o.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brief Video
https://youtu.be/JAt8SlDjx4o" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,
Scott
 #1508378  by arthur d.

Depends on how much detail you desire. Minuteman Steam will give you a "thumbnail sketch" side drawing with wheel sizes, height, length, distances between axle centers, and weight distribution, but I believe your best course is to consult the B&M archives. I was in there years ago searching for track charts and remember great huge (think wallpaper) size drawings of various steam classes hanging off the wall. Good luck with this, the K's are an overlooked workhorse that deserve some attention.
 #1508455  by scottb613

Hi Arthur,

Thanks so much for your response as well... I think the book may have what I need - I just need some basic dimensions and the shape of the boiler... While the best case scenario has me finding a decent set of plans - typically - when I'm building a model - with the aforementioned dimensions - I can use the "brasstrains" website for additional information... They take high quality images of the stuff they sell and I can get most of the details from that (granted - this includes any errors the manufacturer may have introduced)... I've already collected some k8 images from them... Yeah - the K8 is a cool looking little locomotive with all the modern accessories usually reserved for bigger steam locomotives... I like it...

Regards,
Scott
 #1509065  by jbvb

Years ago, a group of Boston-area live steamers were working on a joint project to build several K-8 models. There are a couple of commercial parts presently available which I think came out of that, and I know one engine had frame & drivers. I will ask my contact.
 #1509270  by scottb613

jbvb wrote:Years ago, a group of Boston-area live steamers were working on a joint project to build several K-8 models. There are a couple of commercial parts presently available which I think came out of that, and I know one engine had frame & drivers. I will ask my contact.
Hi...

Thanks for the interest and offer - just to be clear though - this is a virtual model - really just looking for information and or plans - parts wouldn't help me much...

Have a good day...

Regards,
Scott