Railroad Forums 

• that B&M Pacific in the Piscataqua River

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#1453207  by RGlueck

Definitely an archbar truck, but the pony truck of the locomotive has also been recovered. This collection of debris may not reflect the latter.
There is a good Youtube video of 3666 being dived on during the summer. The locomotive is surprisingly intact, at least as far as running gear and chassis is concerned. The sheet metal components are almost entirely gone. Depth soundings showed a considerable amount of the tender remaining as well.
My understanding is, all brass and bronze parts have been removed, broken off, or are completely encrusted.
Before anyone goes off the deep end (get the pun?) if the main boiler and frame were retrieved for display, they would oxide into thin sherds of flaking rust when exposed to the free oxygen of the atmosphere. They would probably stink from decaying sea growth. The would bear only marginal resemblance to a powerful steam locomotive. It would remove a significant dive site from the river. The public would get sick of viewing a snarled ball of rust, and the state would eventually cut it up.

As much as I'd like to see parts of the locomotive retrieved, photographed, documented and preserved, we're talk an enormous amount of money and little to show for it in the end. I would rather see a skilled archaeological study, drawings, photographs, and computer imaging completed by UNH or another qualified group.
 #1453230  by Cowford

I'll be darned. Considering those trucks were so outdated by 1939 (they were restricted from interchange at the end of the year), I'm surprised B&M hadn't already replaced them.

Mr Glueck, I'm with you. And the junk already retrieved provides no historic/educational value worthy of display.