Railroad Forums 

• Maine train travel - 1890s

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#1237217  by Battis

Hi. I'm looking for info on freight train travel from Lewiston, ME to Portland, ME in the 1890s. I've looked at maps and routes several times, but my brain isn't seeing what it's looking for. Basically, how long of a trip would it have been and how many stops between the two cities?
Also, (slightly off topic) I'm looking for even older info on the Boston and Maine Stage Line that ran through my town of Amesbury, MA. I cannot find any info on that line. Would it in any way have been the predecessor of the Boston and Maine railroad?
Thanks.
 #1237293  by eastwind

Battis wrote:Hi. I'm looking for info on freight train travel from Lewiston, ME to Portland, ME in the 1890s.
Welcome to the board.
Not sure how to answer your question. Are you perhaps looking for info on passenger train travel between those two cities?
 #1237307  by Battis

Basically, if you boarded a train in the 1890s in Lewiston, ME, would it have been a non-stop trip to Portland? If the train did make stops, would you have to change trains?
To get from my town (Amesbury, MA), to Boston, you'd take a train to Newburyport (3.8 miles), where you'd board another train to Boston.
 #1237374  by eastwind

Battis wrote:Basically, if you boarded a train in the 1890s in Lewiston, ME, would it have been a non-stop trip to Portland? If the train did make stops, would you have to change trains?
To get from my town (Amesbury, MA), to Boston, you'd take a train to Newburyport (3.8 miles), where you'd board another train to Boston.
The railroad situation in Maine in the 1890s was more complicated than it is today. There were at least three ways to get from Lewiston to Portland, each involving what were originally different railroads.
• One way was what is now Pan Am Railways' Freight Main Line, formerly Maine Central's "Back Road," from Lewiston Upper station* via Auburn and Danville Junction to Portland Union Station. This route is still an active freight line.
• Another way was what is now Pan Am/MeDOT's Lewiston Industrial Track, formerly Maine Central's "Lewiston Lower Road," from Lewiston Lower station* via Lisbon Falls to Brunswick, thence Maine Central's "Lower Road" from Brunswick via Freeport and Yarmouth Junction to Portland Union. This route is largely out of service; the tracks no longer go all the way to Lewiston. Between Brunswick and Portland, of course, the line is intact. It is PAR's Brunswick Branch and is the route of the Downeaster.
• A third was what is now St. Lawrence & Atlantic, formerly Grand Trunk's, branch from Lewiston's Grand Trunk station* west through Auburn to the Montreal-Portland main line at Lewiston Junction, then on to Danville Junction and Yarmouth Junction to the Grand Trunk station at India Street on the Portland waterfront. This route is still largely active, except that the tracks from the Lewiston Grand Trunk station to Lewiston Junction have mostly been torn up and replaced by a trail, and the tracks on the Portland waterfront are gone because the line was severed when the Back Cove bridge burned and was not rebuilt.
• Finally, there was the Portland-Lewiston Interurban, an electric line that ran in city streets much like a streetcar in both Portland and Lewiston. Service ceased in 1933. I do not know if it was in service in 1890. Parts of the right-of-way are still visible in places.

As you can see, the Grand Trunk line paralleled, and crossed, the Maine Central's lines in several places.
You can easily trace all of the still-existing lines, and even most of the abandoned rights-of-way, on Google Maps or Bing. Here is a public map that one of our members made for the Lewiston Lower Road. And here is another public map of the Portland-Lewiston Interurban.

The first route would have provided through service without change. Whether any trains were non-stop, I do not know. The records I have do not go back to 1890.
The second route would have required a change in Brunswick, and I am certain any train on this branch would have made intermediate stops.
The third route may have required a change at Lewiston Junction or Danville Junction. Again, I do not know about service on this line in 1890.
The electric line of course made intermediate stops along the way, but I do not know where or how many.

*For the locations of stations in Lewiston, see the Lewiston & Auburn Maine Passenger Stations thread.

Does this help to answer your questions?

--eastwind
 #1237466  by ferroequinarchaeologist

Filling in a blank or two ... the oldest public timetable I have is Maine Central from 1909, which may be close enough to the 1890s for your purposes. Firstly, there are no express trains listed; all trains essentially made all stops although a few were flag stops, requiring about 1 hr 15 min. Between Lewiston and Portland by the Back Road, the stations were:

Lewiston
Auburn
Rumford Junction
Danville Junction/Poland Springs
New Gloucester
Gray
Walnut Hill
Cumberland Junction
West Falmouth
Deering Junction
Woodfords
Portland

For whatever reason at the time, most local trains seemed to originate at Farmington. During these years, in this area the Maine Central route map bore a distinct resemblance to spaghetti on a plate, so there may have been service along other popular routings as well, as eastwind described.

PBM
 #1237555  by ferroequinarchaeologist

In that era, Maine Central freight trains ran as both scheduled trains and as extra trains. Scheduled trains would have specific departure and arrival times per published timetable, while extras were additional trains run under the authority of train orders. Neither one made "stops" in the same sense as passenger trains, because as a general rule, freights stopped only where there was work to be done, or to clear a single-track route for trains with superior authority by timetable, direction, or train order.

PBM
 #1237571  by Battis

After I posted the freight train question, it dawned on me that there'd be no reason for a freight train to make stops as a passenger train would - basically, they were loaded at Point A to deliver to Point B.
I'm fascinated by the 1890s' modes of transportation - trolleys, bicycles, carriages (I live in Amesbury, Ma, "Carriagetown"), and trains. Trains made it all possible.
 #1237642  by markhb

If you look in the thread in the B&M section entitled "1910 Portland Timetables - B&M, MCRR, GT, streetcars", you'll find a link to a scan I did of a 1910 guide to Portland which included a lot of detail about the various train schedules serving the city at that time... not to mention steamship info, the trolley system, etc. I think the part that amazed me was not only was there a "Portland Junction" near the area below the current sewage treatment plant, but there was a shuttle train which ran from Union Station, along the Union Branch, to transition passengers between the MEC/B&M and the Grand Trunk.
 #1238596  by ExCon90

A reprint of the June 1893 Travelers' Official Guide shows 5 passenger trains a day (Mon-Sat, no Sunday service) on the Grand Trunk from Lewiston to Portland, all requiring a change at Lewiston Junction except for the first morning train and a returning evening train, which had a through Portland coach. The through coach on the morning train continued to Boston via the B&M, presumably being switched across Portland to Union Station (there was sufficient time in the schedule). A counterpart through coach returned on an evening train. The Maine Central shows 3 through passenger trains daily except Sunday, via Auburn. Journey time was a uniform 1 hour 10 min. on the GT, 1 hour 10 or 15 min. on the MeC. The Guide states that the Grand Trunk and Maine Central stations in Lewiston were "120 rods apart."
 #1238802  by Battis

A freight train would take less time to make the trip...correct?
What would have been the average top speed of a freight train making that trip?
As I mentioned, I live in Amesbury,Ma. The local trains made a 3.8 mile trip to Newburyport. I'm curious as to what their top speed might have been.
I have goggled for this info, but my questions are such location- specific that nothing is coming up.
Thanks again.
 #1238926  by eastwind

ExCon90 wrote:The through coach on the morning train continued to Boston via the B&M, presumably being switched across Portland to Union Station (there was sufficient time in the schedule).
Although the thought of a train full of passengers creeping down the middle of Commercial Street conjures up fantastic images, another routing for the through coach might have been Grand Trunk to Danville Junction, where the station was shared with the Maine Central, then Maine Central to Portland Union, thence B&M to Boston. Without seeing the respective roads' timetables, I cannot tell if such a schedule was possible.

I do know that in the '30s, the Grand Trunk ran through cars between Montreal and Old Orchard (on the B&M) using just such a GT-MeC-B&M routing. Old Orchard Beach was then, as it still is, a favorite summer destination for many Québécois.
 #1239073  by ExCon90

The 1883 Guide doesn't specify how the through coach was routed (there was also a through coach from Island Pond to Boston on a later train)--Guides of that period were kind of sketchy about details. Even the B&M listing in that Guide makes no reference to a through coach to or from GT points; in fact, it makes no mention of equipment on any B&M trains. Frustrating....
 #1239074  by ExCon90

Battis wrote:A freight train would take less time to make the trip...correct?
What would have been the average top speed of a freight train making that trip?
As I mentioned, I live in Amesbury,Ma. The local trains made a 3.8 mile trip to Newburyport. I'm curious as to what their top speed might have been.
I have goggled for this info, but my questions are such location- specific that nothing is coming up.
Thanks again.
A through freight train might make about the same overall speed as a local passenger, the higher speed of the passenger train being offset by dwell time at stations, while the over-the-road speed of even a through freight would have been lower than that of a passenger train--sort of a tortoise-and-hare situation. A local freight would take considerably longer than a passenger train because of the time consumed in setting off and picking up cars en route. Less-than-carload (LCL) shipments had to be set off at every local station which was getting a shipment that day; if only a few packages were involved, the train might pause for them to be unloaded; otherwise, a separate boxcar might be set off and placed at a loading platform (the "house track") to be picked up the next day. Only an employee timetable from the period (if anybody has one) would show the top speed of freight trains, but in that period it would have been most unlikely to exceed 30 mph.