Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the B&O up to it's 1972 merger into Chessie System. Visit the B&O Railroad Historical Society for more information. Also discussion of the C&O up to 1972. Visit the C&O Historical Society for more information. Also includes the WM up to 1972. Visit the WM Historical Society for more information.
 #1047623  by nydepot

I'd like some suggestions of places/areas to spend the day railfanning quintessential C&O haunts. Maybe a three-day weekend trip with a good amount of trains running on Friday/Sat.

Must have places to eat and decent hotel to spend the night within easy driving distance. I'd prefer not to drive another 2 hours after watching trains all day just to get a hotel.

Thanks.

Charles
 #1058780  by iceman977th

Anywhere on the Kanawha line to Russell, KY's yard, and if you would rather stay up near Ohio, the interchange at Vauces, Ohio. The old B&O is spotty there, but still in use, while the C&O line still passes through, and if you get there quick enough, they still have the C&O signals online (at least last I checked). You'll also be able to stop over on the NS Columbus line which is literally less than three miles away (If you have a computer with tethering, you can access ATCS and a couple servers monitor the Columbus line in that area so you know when you're missing something). The B&O St. Louis main is still in place from just N of Vauces at Schooley Station into the old depot where a line interchanges with the N&W, and there's usually a daily local that interchanges cars, and on occasion, delivers grain hoppers to ADM.