Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the B&O up to it's 1972 merger into Chessie System. Visit the B&O Railroad Historical Society for more information. Also discussion of the C&O up to 1972. Visit the C&O Historical Society for more information. Also includes the WM up to 1972. Visit the WM Historical Society for more information.
 #986345  by GP-30Kid

Can anyone tell me what parts of the line all the way into St Louis on the former B&O main are still in service and what parts are abandoned. Also, If anyone has any information of the area known as HN Cabin where the former B&O main crosses the Alton & Southern, it would be much appreciated. Is the B&O and that point still being used? Thanks
 #988205  by ExCon90

As long as the subject of this line has been raised, perhaps someone familiar with it knows the answer to this question:
The TRRA Technical & Historical Society put out a special anniversary issue on the TRRA awhile back which included track and signal diagrams of a number of interlockings in East St. Louis early in the 20th century. One of them (I forget the name just now) was where the Ohio & Mississippi (as it originally was) crossed a number of other railroads. The north track of that line was labeled Eastbound Main, and the south track was labeled Westbound Main. The signals shown on the diagrams bear out the left-hand running. Does anyone know:
1. Why left-hand running was used?
2. How far east of East St. Louis did it extend?
 #1203277  by supernova1972

Well I don't know a ton about it but I run to Roselake and TRRA from Avon Indiana occassionally off the extra board and HN Cabin still controls the routes into the yard and the diamond with Alton Southern, but they say it will be gone within 2-3 years. The B&O main is still used by a few trains from Roselake to Vincennes and then it turns south on the CE&D line to Evansville. I grew up in Vincennes and the B&O towards Washington seldom gets used that I know of. I think the extra board and pool to ST. Louis from Evansville only has a few guys on it. When I was furloughed and looked to transfer down to Evansville, the train master told me not to even qualify on the run because I would never see it.