Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the B&O up to it's 1972 merger into Chessie System. Visit the B&O Railroad Historical Society for more information. Also discussion of the C&O up to 1972. Visit the C&O Historical Society for more information. Also includes the WM up to 1972. Visit the WM Historical Society for more information.
 #238011  by CarterB

What manufacturer/s, types, #in use, etc. of various yard switchers (diesel) did B&O use?

Anyone know in particular what the type and # of the switcher that was used in Tuscola, IL in the early 1950's??

Is there an 'all time' roster available anywhere on-line?
 #238172  by TB Diamond

The only ones I am sure of is that B&O Alco S2 Nos. 9145-9149 had been Lehigh Valley RR Nos. 150, 153, 155, 161 and 162. These came to the B&O via Striegel, first leased and then purchased by the B&O. All were off the B&O roster by 1979.

#238278  by hutton_switch

There is indeed a B&O Diesel Roster, but it is not available online. A copy may be had from the B&O RR Historical Society for $30.00, compiled by James Mischke. Go to the Company Store link at the B&ORRHS web site at http://www.borhs.org.

Wade Rice

#238289  by BaltOhio

B&O had practically every switcher make and model that existed, starting with a 1925 GE-IR-Alco boxcab, GE 44- and 65-tonners, Alco S1, S2, S4, various Baldwins, FM H10 and H12s, and a range of EMD starting with SW-1s. Wade's suggestion is an excellent one for anyone with a serious interest in B&O diesels.

#283599  by jay611

Two of the B&O S4's are in the Cass, Wv Deadline

Any road numbers on the units would be helpfull.

#448526  by Alco83

Nice shots, Jay. Regarding the B&O's VO-1000 switchers from Baldwin, they were the primary power for the Ohio River Subdivision and its branches for several years.

#448547  by pablo

What is the Cass deadline?

Dave Becker

#448567  by Alco83

Dave,

The Cass deadline is a stub-end of the old C&O's Greenbrier Division still intact north of Cass. It's home to a lot of old state-owned motive-power, mostly Alco switchers (ex-Army, ex-B&O, and ex-South Branch Valley [the state-owned freight carrier in the Eastern Panhandle although I'm unsure of the ex-SBVRR units' lineage]).

Here are some interesting shots of a few of the units prior to and when they were transferred to the dead line.

#448572  by pablo

Thanks for the information.

So, my next dumb question, is there an accounting someplace of what's there as a whole?

Dave Becker

#448588  by Alco83

Dave,

I'm not exactly sure what all is there and I'm unsure if it is documented but I do know it includes those locomotives and a number of freight cars (mostly a whole hodge-podge of equipment).

Re:

#1229986  by mmi16

BaltOhio wrote:B&O had practically every switcher make and model that existed, starting with a 1925 GE-IR-Alco boxcab, GE 44- and 65-tonners, Alco S1, S2, S4, various Baldwins, FM H10 and H12s, and a range of EMD starting with SW-1s. Wade's suggestion is an excellent one for anyone with a serious interest in B&O diesels.
In the early 70's the Baltimore Terminal yard power was almost exclusively FM's - their marine OP engines didn't really like the continual acceleration/decelleration use that engines in yard service operated in. The engines were notorious for throwing oil all over the place. In the mid to late 70's they were replace with mostly EMD products.