Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the B&O up to it's 1972 merger into Chessie System. Visit the B&O Railroad Historical Society for more information. Also discussion of the C&O up to 1972. Visit the C&O Historical Society for more information. Also includes the WM up to 1972. Visit the WM Historical Society for more information.
 #1444879  by gokeefe

I was reading through an unrelated article that mentioned the "National Road" terminating in Vandalia, IL and realized that perhaps this highway was the basis for the origin of the name for the B&O premier "name train" to St. Louis, the National Limited.

Is this correct?

It seems somewhat surprising that a railroad would name its premier train after a highway. Perhaps at the time this was the B&O's way to claim that it offered superseding service. Especially prior to the air age that appears to be a reasonable claim.
 #1446220  by JayBee

Yes, No, and Maybe. The National Road Ran from Baltimore to Cumberland, MD then Pittsburgh, Wheeling, Zanesville, Columbus, and ended at Vandalia, IL though it was intended to reach St. Louis, but money ran out. The Baltimore and Ohio RR served all these places, but the B&O's National Limited only served Baltimore and Cumberland that were served by the National Road. So if the National Road had managed to reach St. Louis then B&O's National Limited would have connected the same end points. You decide.
 #1446222  by gokeefe

I was wondering if there was perhaps some kind of "proof" or other historical knowledge about why the B&O used that particular name. Perhaps at the time it was simply "obvious".
 #1459615  by mmi16

Back in the day National Capitol went together as they do today.
 #1459746  by gokeefe

CSX has recently proposed selling its line between Cincinnati and East St. Louis. Is this the former route of the B&O National Limited?
 #1459769  by hutton_switch

gokeefe wrote:CSX has recently proposed selling its line between Cincinnati and East St. Louis. Is this the former route of the B&O National Limited?
Yes, unfortunately.
 #1459825  by ExCon90

gokeefe wrote:I was wondering if there was perhaps some kind of "proof" or other historical knowledge about why the B&O used that particular name. Perhaps at the time it was simply "obvious".
I thought it had to do with the fact that its overall routing corresponded in general with that of the original "National Road." Edward Hungerford's history of the B&O may mention it, but I don't have access to a copy right now.
 #1466325  by mmi16

hutton_switch wrote:
gokeefe wrote:CSX has recently proposed selling its line between Cincinnati and East St. Louis. Is this the former route of the B&O National Limited?
Yes, unfortunately.
It was also the territory I hired out on in 1965 and worked from Cincinnati to HN Cabin at E. St. Louis as a Train Order Operator for two year before transferring to other B&O Divisions.