Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the B&O up to it's 1972 merger into Chessie System. Visit the B&O Railroad Historical Society for more information. Also discussion of the C&O up to 1972. Visit the C&O Historical Society for more information. Also includes the WM up to 1972. Visit the WM Historical Society for more information.
 #1439362  by shlustig

At one time the B&O had trains called "New England 96" and "New Englander"; what was the routing used?
 #1440587  by mmi16

New Englander originated out of E. St. Louis to Cincinnati through Midland City, Columbus, and Mansfield to Willard, Willard to Cumberland - and this is where it gets fuzzy, I think to WM at Cherry Run, Reading at Lurgan, and to the CNJ somewhere.

NE96, as I recall originated at Willard and also went to the WM at Cherry run and worked its way further East over connecting carriers.
 #1446995  by JayBee

The June 1972 schedule no longer shows the "NewEnglander" , it does show a "Northeasterner" originating at the A&S Gateway Yd. in E. St.Louis and running via Cincinnati, Dayton, Willard, New Castle, and ending at East Salamanca, NY. It also shows NE96 originating at Willard and running via Cumberland, Cherry Run, Hagerstown, Rutherford Yd.(Harrisburg), Allentown, and ending at Maybrook Yd.
 #1447494  by mmi16

JayBee wrote:The June 1972 schedule no longer shows the "NewEnglander" , it does show a "Northeasterner" originating at the A&S Gateway Yd. in E. St.Louis and running via Cincinnati, Dayton, Willard, New Castle, and ending at East Salamanca, NY. It also shows NE96 originating at Willard and running via Cumberland, Cherry Run, Hagerstown, Rutherford Yd.(Harrisburg), Allentown, and ending at Maybrook Yd.
The old memory cells confused New Englander with Northeasterner - after all that was over 50 years ago for me.