Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the B&O up to it's 1972 merger into Chessie System. Visit the B&O Railroad Historical Society for more information. Also discussion of the C&O up to 1972. Visit the C&O Historical Society for more information. Also includes the WM up to 1972. Visit the WM Historical Society for more information.
 #1339330  by ExCon90

1940 was really "back in the day" -- it looks like the guy buying the ticket right at the beginning slides a 5-dollar bill across the counter and gets back some paper money in change; I don't suppose $5 would get you to Silver Spring today. (You could still get to the station by streetcar, too.)
 #1412462  by Gilbert B Norman

Well Mr. Martin, I guess Dr. Goebbels had a "gig" with the B&O in addition to his "day job" with "Shickelgruber".

Funny how "Mr. Schroeder" operated the train through the night to destination; also funny how even during the 1940's, railroads saw little need for the Fireman on Diesel locomotives, referring to the second man on the engine as the Attendant. Also funny how craft lines were X'd when the Attendant was working on the engine while still at the initial terminal.

But still an enjoyable watch.
 #1412524  by ExCon90

... especially the left-hand running beginning at 8:19, no doubt shot from the obs and reversed for projection. And despite the tweaking, a priceless record of what things were like at that time.
 #1448194  by mmi16

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Well Mr. Martin, I guess Dr. Goebbels had a "gig" with the B&O in addition to his "day job" with "Shickelgruber".

Funny how "Mr. Schroeder" operated the train through the night to destination; also funny how even during the 1940's, railroads saw little need for the Fireman on Diesel locomotives, referring to the second man on the engine as the Attendant. Also funny how craft lines were X'd when the Attendant was working on the engine while still at the initial terminal.

But still an enjoyable watch.
In that era, the B&O did place 'Mechanical Attendants' on the diesel runs. They were mechanical department employees and charged with the responsibility of keeping the diesel-electric locomotives operating through most any failure. During this period I seem to recall B&O/EMC making advertisements touting 99% availability and identified one particular locomotive that made every trip for more than one year.