Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the B&O up to it's 1972 merger into Chessie System. Visit the B&O Railroad Historical Society for more information. Also discussion of the C&O up to 1972. Visit the C&O Historical Society for more information. Also includes the WM up to 1972. Visit the WM Historical Society for more information.
 #1219288  by nydepot

I know the western end is gone but is any part of the rest of the WM used by CSX for any more than light branch? I know parts are shortlines too.

I was curious if there are any parts that see more regular mainline service. Thanks.

Charles
 #1219350  by poppyl

Charles;

CSX runs over former WM trackage from Cherry Run/Big Pool to Hagerstown, from Hagerstown to Highfield, PA, and from Hagerstown to Chambersburg on the old Lurgan line. I'm not 100% certain but CSX may also run on some former WM trackage from Cumberland to Luke.

Poppyl
Last edited by poppyl on Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #1219420  by mmi16

CSX uses the WM route from Hagerstown to Baltimore via Hanover & Gettysburg connection with CSX's Baltimore Terminal sub at Mt.Winans. The WM route from Hagerstown to Chambersburg is used to service CSX Intermodal's Chambersburg facility.

The WM route from Emory Grove via Westminister was sold to the Maryland Midland back in the early 80's.
 #1219427  by poppyl

nydepot wrote:Thanks! I thought you were a NY poster only.
I have my fingers in several pies, so to speak. LOL.

Poppyl