Railroad Forums 

Discussion about Florida passenger rail operations including proposals. Official web-sites:
Miami/Dade Metrorail, Sunrail (Orlando), and Tri-County Commuter Rail Authority
For Virgin Rail/Brightline: Virgin Trains Worldwide (includes Brightline)

Moderator: Kurt-Trirail

#977661  by nyrmetros

Tomorrow morning I am taking trirail for the first time. I am traveling from West Palm Beach to Ft. Lauderdale, and then going to the USA soccer game at Joe Robbie Stadium vs Honduras. What is the best way to purchase a ticket, can I drink on the train, and do the cars have an outlet to charge a cell phone? How crowded are Saturday morning trains down here? Thanks.
 #977698  by Noel Weaver

On Saturday and Sunday southbound trains leave West Palm 6:06 AM and every two hours until 6:06 PM then a last one at 8:36 PM.
Buy your ticket from one of the machines at WPB station. I don't know whether the city bus at Fort Lauderdale directly serves the railroad station on Saturday and Sunday or whether you will have to walk up to Broward Boulevard in order to get the bus west. It should be a number 22 bus westbound. You can find out more at: www.tri-rail.com
Have a good trip.
Noel Weaver
 #977951  by nyrmetros

Noel Weaver wrote:On Saturday and Sunday southbound trains leave West Palm 6:06 AM and every two hours until 6:06 PM then a last one at 8:36 PM.
Buy your ticket from one of the machines at WPB station. I don't know whether the city bus at Fort Lauderdale directly serves the railroad station on Saturday and Sunday or whether you will have to walk up to Broward Boulevard in order to get the bus west. It should be a number 22 bus westbound. You can find out more at: http://www.tri-rail.com
Have a good trip.
Noel Weaver
Thanks for the response. The West palm beach station is very art deco. I bought my ticket from a clerk instead of a machine. Was $5. Def no drinking on trirail. The 10:06 came at 10:30 with only 1 announcement for the delay. While I was waiting a northbound Amtrak train stopped by. When the 2 engine/3 car train finally came, it was packed. I was very surprised. Also there was no conductor collecting tix, just a cop. He didn't take the ticket, and I could have used it again for a return trip.
 #984049  by chrsjrcj

nyrmetros wrote:
Noel Weaver wrote:On Saturday and Sunday southbound trains leave West Palm 6:06 AM and every two hours until 6:06 PM then a last one at 8:36 PM.
Buy your ticket from one of the machines at WPB station. I don't know whether the city bus at Fort Lauderdale directly serves the railroad station on Saturday and Sunday or whether you will have to walk up to Broward Boulevard in order to get the bus west. It should be a number 22 bus westbound. You can find out more at: http://www.tri-rail.com
Have a good trip.
Noel Weaver
Thanks for the response. The West palm beach station is very art deco. I bought my ticket from a clerk instead of a machine. Was $5. Def no drinking on trirail. The 10:06 came at 10:30 with only 1 announcement for the delay. While I was waiting a northbound Amtrak train stopped by. When the 2 engine/3 car train finally came, it was packed. I was very surprised. Also there was no conductor collecting tix, just a cop. He didn't take the ticket, and I could have used it again for a return trip.
Just to elaborate:

Yup…the West Palm Beach station is the original Seaboard Air Line Depot built in 1925. I do believe you can eat and drink on the trains. I've done it, my friends have, and I've seen others as well…no complaints. Tri-Rail does seem to do a good bit of business on weekends, weekdays, all the time really. On Tri-Rail, conductors do not collect or check tickets. The cop who checked your ticket was a private security guard that Tri-Rail contracts with. Was called Wackenhut but I believed they changed their name. On weekends, that ticket is good for trips all day. Pretty good deal for $5 huh?