Railroad Forums 

Discussion about Florida passenger rail operations including proposals. Official web-sites:
Miami/Dade Metrorail, Sunrail (Orlando), and Tri-County Commuter Rail Authority
For Virgin Rail/Brightline: Virgin Trains Worldwide (includes Brightline)

Moderator: Kurt-Trirail

#901655  by chrsjrcj

Rode the train today. The new ticket machines are very nice. I like that you now have the ability to buy multiple tickets if you are riding with a group.

There was an older couple across from me (a little OT but rode the new DMU cars...much more comfortable than the old cars) that were visiting S. Florida and accidentally bought an easy card and did not validate it before boarding the train. The security officer didn't write them a ticket since it was a new system and there was confusion.

I think I'll end up getting an easy card while they are free. Seems like its going to be much more convenient...and it obviously saves paper.
 #901867  by Noel Weaver

chrsjrcj wrote:Rode the train today. The new ticket machines are very nice. I like that you now have the ability to buy multiple tickets if you are riding with a group.

There was an older couple across from me (a little OT but rode the new DMU cars...much more comfortable than the old cars) that were visiting S. Florida and accidentally bought an easy card and did not validate it before boarding the train. The security officer didn't write them a ticket since it was a new system and there was confusion.

I think I'll end up getting an easy card while they are free. Seems like its going to be much more convenient...and it obviously saves paper.
Yes, they are free and yes they save paper but the system is not as convenient as the old one in my opinion. Now you will have to tap in before boarding the train and tap out again on the platform after you detrain. No more getting off the train and just heading for a bus or you car, now you have to find a pad and tap out first. My guess is that if you don't tap out you will end up being charged for the highest possible trip and this could cost you fast.
I think they could have done better.
Noel Weaver
 #961551  by NellieBly

Rode Tri-Rail from Boca to Miami 79th Street yesterday. We bought paper tickets since we were only making a round trip. Yes, the phase-in of the new fare media makes things a bit cumbersome. The paper ticket looks just like the old Tri-Rail tickets but without the magnetic stripe.

When you get to Miami, you have to show the paper ticket and get a blue paper Easy Card good for one day of unlimited rides on Metro. Big long line to do that. It'll be good when they've fully transitioned, but right now it's a bit confusing. SFRTA has hired retired guys to work each station and help new and unfamiliar users of the fare vending machines.