Railroad Forums 

Discussion about Florida passenger rail operations including proposals. Official web-sites:
Miami/Dade Metrorail, Sunrail (Orlando), and Tri-County Commuter Rail Authority
For Virgin Rail/Brightline: Virgin Trains Worldwide (includes Brightline)

Moderator: Kurt-Trirail

#348951  by Noel Weaver

rail10 wrote:Whattype of third rail system,voltage and design areused for metrorail and metromover?
Metro-Rail has an over running third rail at around 700 volts DC. They
usually run four or six car trains.
I will have to take a better look at the Metro-Mover system when I next
ride it, it is some sort of an odd-ball system for the US. The important
thing is that it works and does a decent job with service to much of the
downtown area of Miami. Rides are free on it too these days.
Noel Weaver

#432792  by geoking66

I'd prefer it if they electrified the commuter rail at 25kV 60Hz AC catenary tension overhead wire because it's a standard for international rail (well 50Hz everywhere but North America).

#441622  by jwhite07

I will have to take a better look at the Metro-Mover system when I next
ride it, it is some sort of an odd-ball system for the US.
I've only seen Metromover once, and not that closely, but pictures on nycsubway.org seem to show a power rail, and presumably another for the return, located in the center of the guideway. I take it the contact shoes are under the center of the vehicle somewhere. Metromover is a rubber-tired system, thus the need for separate power and return, much like ETBs need two overhead wires.

#501045  by george matthews

geoking66 wrote:I'd prefer it if they electrified the commuter rail at 25kV 60Hz AC catenary tension overhead wire because it's a standard for international rail (well 50Hz everywhere but North America).
25kv is standard in Europe for new main line electrification. But there are still many 1500 v DC systems (Netherlands, Poland, southern France etc.) and some 3000v DC (e.g. Belgium)

But city railways tend to have lower voltage. 750 is common and 1500 v DC is also common for metros. 750 is the usual for third rail systems.
There are extra costs for a full 25 kv system in tunnels. The catenary needs to be higher. Tunnels need to be higher too. If a city line doesn't expect to have mainline trains on it then lower voltage is the choice.

We mustn't forget the system used in Germany, Switzerland, Austria and Sweden 12.5 kv ac at an odd frequency. This is like the US NEC the result of early adoption.

#511122  by DutchRailnut

Who cares about Europe ?? the question was about the Florida system.

#511710  by Kurt-Trirail

This topic appears to have run its course.

Locked.

-Kurt