Railroad Forums 

Discussion about Florida passenger rail operations including proposals. Official web-sites:
Miami/Dade Metrorail, Sunrail (Orlando), and Tri-County Commuter Rail Authority
For Virgin Rail/Brightline: Virgin Trains Worldwide (includes Brightline)

Moderator: Kurt-Trirail

#617651  by Kurt-Trirail

DutchRailnut wrote:Kurt the car is released , as it is paid for, rest of Colorado Railcar ceased to exist.
the car may or may not be finished completly, as I said #704 was spotted in Denver in UP yard.
was the #704 a car back for warranty work, or is it new ????
As far as I can make out from internet photos (I never paid attention to which units were present), units #703, #705, and #706 have been delivered. That said, I've also witnessed at least two full DMU sets (motor + trailer + motor) have been delivered as well. I would assume that fourth unit would be #704, but I have not been able to locate a photo of it. Far as I know, there was no order for any additional units.

-Kurt

P.S.: <sarcasm>This speaks well of DMU reliability, eh? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB9PCXAOUaI </sarcasm>
 #617773  by crblue

DutchRailnut wrote:Kurt the car is released , as it is paid for, rest of Colorado Railcar ceased to exist.
the car may or may not be finished completly, as I said #704 was spotted in Denver in UP yard.
was the #704 a car back for warranty work, or is it new ????
Thanks for the heads up Dutch. This would be the sixth and final Colorado Railcar to be delivered that was part of the original order. The other five have been on the property and in service for quite some time now. Its likely that with all the recent issues at Colorado Railcar it fouled up production and delivery of this car.
 #617856  by Kurt-Trirail

I don't get it. I swear that I've seen two complete DMU sets stored in the yards (was riding weekend) back in early '08.

-Kurt
 #628549  by realtype

Kaback9 wrote:Those things look so top heavy!
They're humongous (and ugly). It looks so funny to see one on the same set as a Bombardier bilevel; they must weigh at least 50% more. There's no way they could use these things in the Northeast, as they couldn't meet the clearances for practically any commuter railroad north of DC.
 #633616  by crblue

The 704 came down on FEC train 107 last night for delivery to Tri-Rail in Hialeah. The train was being lead by one of the blue and yellow SD70M-2's and two SD40-2s with the DMU as "fourth unit".
 #640146  by Gilbert B Norman

From Holiday Inn West Boca Raton---

Observed likely P630Feb18 yesterday near Hypoluxso (check my spelling of that one, locals) with a consist of an F-40 and two CRC DMU's.

Any thoughts how the DMU's end up being locomotive hauled?
 #642765  by Kurt-Trirail

Gilbert B Norman wrote:Any thoughts how the DMU's end up being locomotive hauled?
Less wear and tear on the underpowered DMU's.

-Kurt
 #642934  by chrsjrcj

Gilbert B Norman wrote:From Holiday Inn West Boca Raton---

Observed likely P630Feb18 yesterday near Hypoluxso (check my spelling of that one, locals) with a consist of an F-40 and two CRC DMU's.

Any thoughts how the DMU's end up being locomotive hauled?
The correct spelling is Hypuluxo.

I believe Tri-Rail likes to overpower some of there trains (especially on weekends) just in case one fails.
 #643118  by Kurt-Trirail

chrsjrcj wrote:I believe Tri-Rail likes to overpower some of there trains (especially on weekends) just in case one fails.
Applies only to the double-headers.

As for applying this theory to the DMUs:
It would make sense if the consist in question consisted of a DMU + DMU trailer + DMU + locomotive, or DMU + DMU + locomotive. In either case, there would remain a cab at each end if they had to pull the power unit off the consist.

That said, I've yet to see TRCX do either - whenever a loco ends up at the south end, it is in the config of DMU + DMU trailer + locomotive. Take the loco off, and you have no control cab at the south end.

Don't forget the fact that the DMU coaches have been popping up mixed in with the Bombardiers and locos w/o any DMU as well - note the two shots of #814 lugging #7002 around:

http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPictur ... id=1467603
http://railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=265008&nseq=7

-Kurt

Re:

#643119  by Kurt-Trirail

Incidentally, this is an old post, but I thought I'd mention this for anyone looking for the answer:
cpontani wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but Tri-Rail is the only place with the bi-level Colorado Railcar DMU, right?
Nope - Alaska Railroad got one too. The ARR version has a cab at both ends, roadnumber #751. I believe the intent was to phase out the RDC's - doubt it at this point, considering Colorado Railcar's demise.

Video of the ARR unit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkRQMO2pLYI

and:
http://www.alaskarails.org/whats-hot/PZ-751.jpg

-Kurt
 #647343  by Kaback9

Kaback9 wrote:Those things look so top heavy!
Matt Johnson wrote:Man those things look top heavy!

I said that already :P
 #647423  by realtype

I don't know what the RTA was even thinking. Those things should have never been used for commuter service. Just look at how it dwarfs the B'dier bilevel and the F40. They probably couldn't even come close to matching the clearance reqs. for any passenger RR in the Northeast. I wonder if that can even reach 80mph safely. These cars were intended for excusion use, CRC wanted to make an extra buck by pitching them for commuter use, and Tri-Rail fell for it.
 #647461  by Noel Weaver

realtype wrote:I don't know what the RTA was even thinking. Those things should have never been used for commuter service. Just look at how it dwarfs the B'dier bilevel and the F40. They probably couldn't even come close to matching the clearance reqs. for any passenger RR in the Northeast. I wonder if that can even reach 80mph safely. These cars were intended for excusion use, CRC wanted to make an extra buck by pitching them for commuter use, and Tri-Rail fell for it.
I do not agree with you, these cars easily fit clearances here in South Florida, they ride as good as anything else and they
are new and clean, I hope they stay at least halfway decent over the coming years.
I think this equipment is working out OK on Tri-Rail and I don't think Tri-Rall fell for anything.
If they are able to get parts for them as necessary, I think they will be running for at least a while.
Noel Weaver