Railroad Forums 

Discussion about Florida passenger rail operations including proposals. Official web-sites:
Miami/Dade Metrorail, Sunrail (Orlando), and Tri-County Commuter Rail Authority
For Virgin Rail/Brightline: Virgin Trains Worldwide (includes Brightline)

Moderator: Kurt-Trirail

#1499794  by mp15ac

I noticed last night that Tri-Rail is running its trains which have the Hyundai-Rotem cars with a BL36PH on the north end in front of the cab cars. I understand that the problem is that there are issues with the pilots on the cab cars, so they are running a lead BL36PH on the north end in front of the cab cars in addition to the regular BL36PH on the south end.

I recall Metrolink in LA doing this after a nasty derailment caused by a pickup truck left on the tracks which caused the Hyundai-Rotem cab car to derail, resulting in the deaths of two crewmen in the cab. After that, until the cab cars were modified, Metrolink ran the trains with leased BNSF diesels leading the cab cars.

So, is the problem with the Tri-Rail Rotem cab cars the same as the ones on Metrolink?

Stuart
 #1509778  by mp15ac

Apparently the problem with the Hyundai-Rotem cab cars has been resolved, as the leading BL36's have been removed from the north end of the trains.

Stuart