Railroad Forums 

Discussion about Florida passenger rail operations including proposals. Official web-sites:
Miami/Dade Metrorail, Sunrail (Orlando), and Tri-County Commuter Rail Authority
For Virgin Rail/Brightline: Virgin Trains Worldwide (includes Brightline)

Moderator: Kurt-Trirail

#1499255  by farecard

Trying to see if it is feasible to get from Central Florida to Miami via {mostly} rail.
Specifically Tavaris FL. Or somewhere near.

I see I can catch the Silver Meteor in Deland. But I'm hoping for something closer. Mr. Google came up with a mix of Sunrail, TriRail and buses that was not enticing.

Suggestions?
 #1499542  by R&DB

Winter Park Amtrak Staton is probably a better choice over Deland. Better parking. Choice of train are Silver Meteor or Silver Star. The Silver Star is longer trip as it detours to Tampa and back before going to Miami.
 #1499584  by farecard

R&DB wrote:Winter Park Amtrak Staton is probably a better choice over Deland. Better parking. Choice of train are Silver Meteor or Silver Star. The Silver Star is longer trip as it detours to Tampa and back before going to Miami.
Thanks. Don't need parking as I'm being driven there; and Deland is a straight shot

Have a Meteor ticket. (Took the Star last year & it suffered repeated freight delays.)
Trying to decide what to do at the MIA end; goal is Miami Beach.

There's a $2 zillion Amtrak station at MIA with no Amtrak service; their end of line is up in Haileah.
But that's not served by local transit. Why should it be when there's the MIA station empty?

If there was a way to connect to Brightline, I'd try that, but none I see.
 #1499605  by chrsjrcj

Miami Dade Transit Route L serves Amtrak and Miami Beach (although it does not go all the way to South Beach). https://www8.miamidade.gov/transportati ... ?route=112" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Alternatively, you could get off Amtrak at Hollywood and take Tri-Rail south to Miami Airport. There, you’ll have a number of options including Metrorail to downtown Miami or Route 150 which is an express bus from the Airport to Miami Beach (including South Beach). https://www8.miamidade.gov/transportati ... ?route=150" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If you really wanted to connect to Brightline, get off Amtrak at West Palm Beach. The Brightline station is less than 1/2 mile to the east. It’s an okay walk during the day.
 #1499615  by farecard

I looked at the Hialeah options last year but they didn't work out.

Thanks for the connection data.
The trouble with both TriRail and Brightline is if (heaven forbid!) the Meteor is running late, I would miss my connection.
But the Brightline sounds intriguing, I may go that route.