Railroad Forums 

Discussion about Florida passenger rail operations including proposals. Official web-sites:
Miami/Dade Metrorail, Sunrail (Orlando), and Tri-County Commuter Rail Authority
For Virgin Rail/Brightline: Virgin Trains Worldwide (includes Brightline)

Moderator: Kurt-Trirail

#1269517  by jt42cwr

Hi,

I'm planning a trip to the US in September and want to cram in as much as possible into the time I have.

I would like to take in the Tri-Rail trains with the aim of travelling on trains with as many different locomotives as possible. To aid in making this as easy as possible, can anyone advise what the current train cycles are for Tri-Rail's operations?

TIA
 #1270428  by Noel Weaver

I see Tri-Rail trains just about every day and have yet to see any of the new locomotives in service at least in revenue service. As for the DMU equipment, this stuff has not run in some time and I have doubts if it will again at least anytime soon, it probably needs a laundry list of repairs in order to run. You will get a chance to ride both the older cars and the newer Rotem Cars, I happen to prefer riding the older cars. You will also see a selection of various engines so I think you will find it worth exploring and riding. Don't overlook our major freight railroad the Florida East Coast, around seven round trips of through trains plus a bunch of local freights. Clean locomotives, all EMD right now but that will change later this year with some new GE's in the works, the best paint scheme in all of North America on 35 year old SD-40-2's make a beautiful sight. There is more railroading here than meets the eye or that somebody would expect. As I advise anybody headed for this area, do not trespass on railroad property and enjoy your visit.
Noel Weaver
 #1271055  by BuddSilverliner269

Noel, does Tri-Rail still have those DMUs? I ask this because I just saw a video of Sunrail and thought I saw those cars sitting in Sanford in this video? I guess I will find out next week as I will be spending a week in sunny Florida.
 #1271057  by Noel Weaver

I ride Tri-Rail quite often sometimes for a good reason and sometimes just for the sake of a train ride. I don't remember when I went down to Miami last month whether the DMU stuff was in the yard at Hialeah or not, I was too busy watching for the new locomotives and then immediately getting in to position from the upper level of the car to get off and transfer to the Metro-Rail train to continue. I will be riding up to West Palm for a good reason later this week but I don't know just when I'll do Miami again.
Noel Weaver
 #1272857  by Noel Weaver

BuddSilverliner269 wrote:Hi noel, as I type this, I'm rolling into Sanford terminal on Auto Train p053 and yes the Tri-Rail DMU cars are currently sitting in Sanford yard on Sunrail.
All I can say is if they are running in revenue service ride them while you can because I rather doubt if they will work out any better there then they have here.
Noel Weaver
 #1272883  by DutchRailnut

Looks like one state agency trying to pawn off to other state agency, no one wants these custom build morphodite.
The DMU is not what people expect it to be, higher maintenance, higher fuel and labor cost, just like I predicted.