• SEPTA keeping push-pulls for the future?

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

by glennk419

Patrick Boylan wrote:Is this time marching sideways? I'm pretty sure that's the reason the New Haven got their dual mode FL9's, because there was too much load on their electrical system in existing electrified territory. I understand they didn't intend to use them to extend electric trains into diesel territory.
No to drag this too far off topic but the purpose of the NH FL9s, and presumably the NJT dual modes, was/is to eliminate the need to change power when operating into the tunnels and underground terminals.
  by Head-end View

Thanks jack and glenn. Good answers. In NJT's case I had not thought of the versatility of being able to use the same coaches on either electric or diesel trains. Makes sense.
  by jackintosh11

Head-end View wrote:Thanks jack and glenn. Good answers. In NJT's case I had not thought of the versatility of being able to use the same coaches on either electric or diesel trains. Makes sense.
Theoretically, this means that you could actually use an NEC consist without changing locomotives on the raritan valley line and vv, but that probably wouldn't happen. Unlike on MNR and LIRR, NJ transit doesn't need to keep cars separate, but they just have one fleet of cars that just have to be hooked up to the right locomotive, which would be great if there was something wrong with a certain type of car. Say a problem was discovered with the comet IIs, and also the shoreliner Is, that required them to be taken out of service. NJ transit would lose some capacity, but it would be evenly distributed among the lines. MNR electric lines would be fine, but anything past that would lose a huge amount of service. This also demonstrates the benefits of having 2 sets of cars that aren't based on each other, which NJ transit also benefits from. The LIRR and MNR all have very uniform fleets, especially in diesel territory.
  by 25Hz

glennk419 wrote:
Patrick Boylan wrote:Is this time marching sideways? I'm pretty sure that's the reason the New Haven got their dual mode FL9's, because there was too much load on their electrical system in existing electrified territory. I understand they didn't intend to use them to extend electric trains into diesel territory.
No to drag this too far off topic but the purpose of the NH FL9s, and presumably the NJT dual modes, was/is to eliminate the need to change power when operating into the tunnels and underground terminals.
They were built to eliminate the need for catenary, unless i'm wrong?
  by nomis

FL9 and catenary ... watch out for fl9m2004 :-)
  by NorthPennLimited

So did anyone send SEPTA a "letter of interest" to build a high speed locomotive by the deadline?
  by sammy2009

NorthPennLimited wrote:So did anyone send SEPTA a "letter of interest" to build a high speed locomotive by the deadline?
I asked the samething on facebook last week....i wonder if anyone submitted. I think the posting is still on SEPTA's site unless the person hasn't had time to take it down or they not finish with the process or something.
  by 25Hz

jackintosh11 wrote:
nomis wrote:FL9 and catenary ... watch out for fl9m2004 :-)
A few of them had pantographs, but for overhead rails in grand central due to the complex trackwork and third rail gaps.
A bunch of locos had those. New haven had a few with full size panto for catenary and mini for in GCT.
  by NorthPennLimited

with talk of new locomotives, bi level coaches, does this mean SEPTA will keep the current fleet of coaches and cab cars ( Comets not included) or will they go up for sale to make room for the new push pulls, and a fleet of SL6's which will be larger in numbers than the current fleet of GE's?
  by ekt8750

NorthPennLimited wrote:with talk of new locomotives, bi level coaches, does this mean SEPTA will keep the current fleet of coaches and cab cars ( Comets not included) or will they go up for sale to make room for the new push pulls, and a fleet of SL6's which will be larger in numbers than the current fleet of GE's?
The Bombers are going through an overhaul right now so I'm sure they'll be around for a while. The locos are tricky as they're looking at getting Toasters from Amtrak to hold them over til the new stuff arrives.
  by MattW

So it almost sounds like SEPTA is going to have more equipment than they do now, and not just because of overlap while the new is coming in and the old is going out. Have they talked about any service expansions on the existing lines? Or is it way too early to even speculate at this point?

[EDIT] Saw that I had typed not instead of now, this post should actually make sense not...I mean now :P
Last edited by MattW on Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
  by NorthPennLimited

SEPTA.org has a link on the homepage for people to send suggestions / comments for the Annual Service Plan. Maybe you should shoot them a line and make a suggestion or two.

With all the expansion at University of Pennsylvania and Comcast building another sky scraper with no parking, they better start planning how to stuff a few more thousand people on rush hour trains that are already packed with people during peak periods.

I'd like to see a study on the feasibility of running extra trains to 11th Street at Greenwich Yard for Eagles games. It could be a precursor to running train service to the Navy Yard.
  by Clearfield

MattW wrote:So it almost sounds like SEPTA is going to have more equipment than they do now, and not just because of overlap while the new is coming in and the old is going out. Have they talked about any service expansions on the existing lines? Or is it way too early to even speculate at this point?

[EDIT] Saw that I had typed not instead of now, this post should actually make sense not...I mean now :P
The issue isn't service expansion, its to handle increased loads on existing lines. There's a whole new generation of younger people who take public transportation and don't own or want cars.
  by MattW

Clearfield wrote:
MattW wrote:So it almost sounds like SEPTA is going to have more equipment than they do now, and not just because of overlap while the new is coming in and the old is going out. Have they talked about any service expansions on the existing lines? Or is it way too early to even speculate at this point?

The issue isn't service expansion, its to handle increased loads on existing lines. There's a whole new generation of younger people who take public transportation and don't own or want cars.
I guess service expansion could be taken two ways, I was referring to an increase in frequencies on existing lines really. Wouldn't that work toward handling increased loads?