Railroad Forums 

• SEPTA keeping push-pulls for the future?

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1027303  by zebrasepta

http://www.septa.org/reports/pdf/budget ... l-cb13.pdf
While I was reading this I ran into this bit piece of budget
Regional Rail Car and Locomotive Acquisition (FY 2017-2024 $5,000,000; Unfunded $1,414,000,000)
This project provides for the purchase of 245 railcars to replace SEPTA‟s Silverliner IV railcar fleet. The Silverliner IV rail cars, which
were built between 1974 and 1976. Vehicles acquired will fully comply with Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requirements and
federal and state regulations regarding safety features and systems. In addition, this project will provide for the acquisition of nine
diesel/electric locomotives to replace Bombardier Push-Pull Locomotives. Only $5 million, or 0.4 percent, of the $1.42 billion
required for this project is programmed within the twelve year capital program for specification development.
I thought SEPTA would get EMU's to replace the push-pulls but I guess not
 #1027307  by SEPTAR2Newark

Later on in the VEHICLE OVERHAUL PROGRAM it states
Highlights of the Fiscal Year 2013 program include the overhaul of 30-foot Eldorado buses, 40-foot low-floor New Flyer diesel buses, Broad Street B-IV cars, City and Suburban trolleys, Regional Rail Bombardier Push-Pull railcars and locomotives, Market Frankford M-4 cars, Norristown High Speed Line N-5 cars, and maintenance of way equipment.
Not sure which statement to stand with but if they do an overhaul it would be good to send the fleet to the Amtrak Wilmington and Bear shops if they want a good quality rebuild.
 #1027311  by ekt8750

SEPTAR2Newark wrote:Later on in the VEHICLE OVERHAUL PROGRAM it states
Highlights of the Fiscal Year 2013 program include the overhaul of 30-foot Eldorado buses, 40-foot low-floor New Flyer diesel buses, Broad Street B-IV cars, City and Suburban trolleys, Regional Rail Bombardier Push-Pull railcars and locomotives, Market Frankford M-4 cars, Norristown High Speed Line N-5 cars, and maintenance of way equipment.
Not sure which statement to stand with but if they do an overhaul it would be good to send the fleet to the Amtrak Wilmington and Bear shops if they want a good quality rebuild.
Well you figure we won't see anything new on SEPTA rails for another 5 years and it sounds like they aren't replacing the coaches just the locomotives so the coaches will surely need an overhaul and the locos will need one to hold SEPTA over til new locos arrive.
 #1027327  by SEPTAR2Newark

ekt8750 wrote:
Well you figure we won't see anything new on SEPTA rails for another 5 years and it sounds like they aren't replacing the coaches just the locomotives so the coaches will surely need an overhaul and the locos will need one to hold SEPTA over til new locos arrive.
Railcars and locomotives are up for replacement but if you noticed, which is something I just did, is that its listed in the 2017-2024 time frame. So its a 2013 rebuild and a 2017-2024 replacement and as we all know how Septa works it will be 2026-2028 by the time it happens.
 #1027343  by ekt8750

SEPTAR2Newark wrote:
ekt8750 wrote:
Railcars and locomotives are up for replacement but if you noticed, which is something I just did, is that its listed in the 2017-2024 time frame. So its a 2013 rebuild and a 2017-2024 replacement and as we all know how Septa works it will be 2026-2028 by the time it happens.
When they said railcars they were only referring to the Silverliner IVs.
 #1027366  by SubwayTim

Does that mean the Silverliner IVs' days are now numbered??? Of coarse they are only about 10 years newer than the II's and III's...
 #1027471  by SEPTAR2Newark

ekt8750 wrote:
SEPTAR2Newark wrote:
ekt8750 wrote:
When they said railcars they were only referring to the Silverliner IVs.
What good are engines without cars?

And as for HHP-8s that would be a double negative as they have a worse track record then our AEM-7s in reliability. It seems that Septa might be forced to go Siemens with the ALP-46, ALP-45DP or ACS-64 models and MLVs for our future fleet.
 #1027479  by zebrasepta

this project will provide for the acquisition of nine diesel/electric locomotives to replace Bombardier Push-Pull Locomotives.
This makes me wonder if SEPTA will get dual modes for their locomotives
 #1027488  by ekt8750

zebrasepta wrote:
this project will provide for the acquisition of nine diesel/electric locomotives to replace Bombardier Push-Pull Locomotives.
This makes me wonder if SEPTA will get dual modes for their locomotives
Maybe. The line item says they're open to diesel or electric locomotives.
 #1027489  by Clearfield

ekt8750 wrote:The line item says they're open to diesel or electric locomotives.
By the time they're ready to buy, the dual-modes may be more commonplace.
 #1027524  by amtrakowitz

Clearfield wrote:
ekt8750 wrote:The line item says they're open to diesel or electric locomotives.
Commonplace as in...? Only one railroad in the US is supposed to be using them.
 #1027563  by Clearfield

amtrakowitz wrote:
Clearfield wrote:
Any railroad that needs and can afford dual-mode can buy them. Where does 'supposed' come into the picture? NJT took the very very brave step in buying engines that hadn't been designed yet. That doesn't give them the exclusive on them. Based on the budget timing, they could be used to extend service to Reading, Quakertown, and (gasp) Newtown.
 #1027582  by glennk419

amtrakowitz wrote:
Clearfield wrote:
I believe AMT in Montreal has also taken delivery of several dual modes. While I'm not sure if they are in revenue service as of yet, I have seen videos of them testing.

By the time SEPTA would make a decision, the existing models should have a fair amount of North American miles on them, hopefully making both cost and reliability more attractive.
 #1027589  by Clearfield

glennk419 wrote:By the time SEPTA would make a decision, the existing models should have a fair amount of North American miles on them, hopefully making both cost and reliability more attractive.
My point, in fewer words!