Railroad Forums 

• SEPTA spending 100 million for PTC

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1022305  by Wingnut

Nick L wrote:
bikentransit wrote:Hey! Another quick question, since the Silverliner V cars are brand new, are they going to be compliant with the new system, or at least easier to upgrade?
Doesn't all of SEPTA's equipment (including the Vs) have to work with ACSES to run on the NEC?
Nope. The only thing SEPTA rolling stock has right now, including the Silverliner Vs, is the old fashioned 4 aspect cab signal system invented by the PRR. A decade ago DelDOT installed an 80 mph crossover near Newark station. A modern nine aspect system is needed to display CAB 80 to take it at full speed. But because SEPTA's least restrictive signal below clear is approach limited, which is displayed by default, they can only travel 45 mph over that stretch of track.

SEPTA is the only Northeast Corridor operator that doesn't have ACSES or nine aspect cab signalling.
 #1022348  by Amtrak67 of America

Wingnut wrote:
Nick L wrote:
bikentransit wrote:Hey! Another quick question, since the Silverliner V cars are brand new, are they going to be compliant with the new system, or at least easier to upgrade?
Doesn't all of SEPTA's equipment (including the Vs) have to work with ACSES to run on the NEC?
Nope. The only thing SEPTA rolling stock has right now, including the Silverliner Vs, is the old fashioned 4 aspect cab signal system invented by the PRR. A decade ago DelDOT installed an 80 mph crossover near Newark station. A modern nine aspect system is needed to display CAB 80 to take it at full speed. But because SEPTA's least restrictive signal below clear is approach limited, which is displayed by default, they can only travel 45 mph over that stretch of track.

SEPTA is the only Northeast Corridor operator that doesn't have ACSES or nine aspect cab signalling.
Wrong!!! The SLV does display a cab speed 80( if I recall it was not an aspect display unit but it was a speed display unit)in the cab. Also Njt doesn't have Acses, metro north doesnt have it yet,and I don't know about MBTA but im sure they don't have it either.
 #1022529  by Wingnut

Amtrak67 of America wrote:Wrong!!! The SLV does display a cab speed 80( if I recall it was not an aspect display unit but it was a speed display unit)in the cab. Also Njt doesn't have Acses, metro north doesnt have it yet,and I don't know about MBTA but im sure they don't have it either.
For real?? I tried looking around the control panel without being conspicuous (the engineer had left the cab door open before departing Trenton) but I couldn't see anything for displaying the higher cab speeds. Still, I thought NJT and MARC had both upgraded to Acses. And Metro North owns their own stretch of NEC so I wasn't even thinking about them.
 #1022853  by Jersey_Mike

Wrong!!! The SLV does display a cab speed 80( if I recall it was not an aspect display unit but it was a speed display unit)in the cab. Also Njt doesn't have Acses, metro north doesnt have it yet,and I don't know about MBTA but im sure they don't have it either.
Most/all NJT units are equipped with ACSES for operation on the NEC where it is in service. MARC is also ACSES capable as they use the standard Amtrak cab signal units. Most MBTA units are also ACSES capable as ACSES is in service between Boston and Providence (again using the standard Amtrak cab display unit).
 #1022893  by Amtrak67 of America

Jersey_Mike wrote:
Most/all NJT units are equipped with ACSES for operation on the NEC where it is in service. MARC is also ACSES capable as they use the standard Amtrak cab signal units. Most MBTA units are also ACSES capable as ACSES is in service between Boston and Providence (again using the standard Amtrak cab display unit).
I don't believe Njt has acses installed on there equipment. I could be wrong and I will message a friend or 2 at Njt in the am to find out for sure.
 #1022915  by 8andsand

NJT MP20B's, ALP46A's and new dual modes have ACSES equipment installed but is sealed in the cut out position and is not functioning. The rest of their equipment has SES equipment but it is also cut out and sealed. They gave up on their own SES system and discontinued using it. SES was never compatible with Amtrak ACSES. I believe it was developed after the wreck at Secaucus in 96 as a form of PTC. It never worked well so was abandonded with the intention of adopting Amtrak's ACSES instead. When they will actually begin using ACSES is anyones guess.
 #1023430  by Jersey_Mike

I am surprised that the FRA would allow NJT to operate non-equipped units over track where ACSES is in service. The cab display units certainly support ACSES after the HDCS upgrade about 10 years ago. Down in SEPTA land Amtrak left track #1 south of RAGAN non-equipped for SEPTA"s non-equipped MU fleet.
 #1023445  by wagz

I had the same question about the Vs and being able to display a Cab 80 aspect a while back, and in fact I wound up PMing Amtrak67ofAmerica about it. I had ridden the 3 prototype cars last February on 1256 out of Newark, and sitting immediately behind the "railfan window" noticed a flashing green Cab Speed aspect at Ragan leading to another Cab Speed aspect at the north end of the A extension (can't remember that interlocking name). We definitely did much more than Limited speed for sure.

Anyone know how that Cab 80 aspect is displayed on the Vs? The very few times I saw the CDU it was displaying traditional 4 aspect values like on the rest of the fleet.
 #1023462  by Amtrak67 of America

Everyone is wrong on all accounts. PTC isn't being enforced yet by the fra. Only Amtrak an Amtrak rule book states that only Amtrak units are required to have the acses operable. Also track 1 south of Ragan to Bacon is indeed acses territory. It doesn't need to not be acses territory to support septa or anything that isn't acses equipped.
 #1023715  by Wingnut

wagz wrote:Anyone know how that Cab 80 aspect is displayed on the Vs? The very few times I saw the CDU it was displaying traditional 4 aspect values like on the rest of the fleet.
I'd like to know too. It fooled me into thinking SEPTA went on the cheap once again.
 #1023870  by Amtrak67 of America

I have run the V's on test trains in NJ for 110 speed testing and I have seen the cab speed 80 signal displayed. I have to check the Slv operators manual because I seem to remember it being a speed display unit and not an aspect display unit but I'm qualified on so much equipment that I could be confusing it with something else. Other engineers have gotten the cab speed 80 code in the cab when diverting at Ruthby.
 #1023936  by ThirdRail7

Patrick Boylan wrote:Where's Ruthby and from what are you diverting?
RUTBY is an interlocking between Wilmington, Delaware and Newark Delaware. It was built when Septa started service to Newark. At Ruthby, you pick up "A" track, so you have a 4 track main line to Davis Interlocking, where Newark train station is located. This way, one train can approach the station while another departs.