Railroad Forums 

• Interesting consists

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#855257  by BuddSilverliner269

Not that interesting as these consist occur all the time , all thought Matt did come up with a good idea and maybe we can get Alex to sticky this thread and maybe we can keep it going with Post such as extremly interesting consist. Maybe we should all chip in and make an effort because when the Budds go, no more mixed consist.....
 #855285  by Matthew Mitchell

Well a consist of all Silverliner IIs isn't that big a deal, or all PRR Silverliner IIs for that matter, but what I thought was of note was these were the first four back together. That said, the intent was indeed to make this something of an ongoing thread.
 #855295  by South Jersey Budd

Saw SLIII 220 and 221 together on friday on an airport trip. I find it hard to believe there is a railfan yard crew putting these together though.
 #855815  by van2005ko

That's a standard for SEPTA, but not as a common occurrence since SEPTA usually mix their consists up. I have to admit a consist of 4 ex-PRR cars is an rather pleasing experience.

Here's a photo of a straight Silverliner II set.
http://www.philadelphiatransitvehicles. ... -6661.html
 #856065  by Quinn

Matthew Mitchell wrote:Train 570 today consisted of 204-201-202-203, for those who would like a time machine ride to 1962...
Spotted this same consist again on 9-30, Media Line on what I believe to be a tardy #386 (~10 min). Cool to see this one roll through.
 #878009  by eafp668

Are they currently (and/or will they) make consists of Silverliner Vs and older models?
 #878073  by Matthew Mitchell

eafp668 wrote:Are they currently (and/or will they) make consists of Silverliner Vs and older models?
Good issue to bring up. Eventually, they need to. That's one of the things that probably would have happened if the pilot cars hadn't been so [blasphemy] late and problematic and we could have gone on the original testing schedule with extended simulated revenue service.

But those tests do need to be made, since there's a variety of stuff that can go wrong. Note that such testing is going to require the replacement of the couplers on the Silverliner IVs (*) involved, which is part of the project, so it's not nearly as easy as grabbing a pair from the yard and sending the mixed consist out on the road.

*--the Vs are not designed to be coupled with older cars
 #880663  by scotty269

A unique sighting from earlier today: At approx 11am, TC-80 (geometry car) was speeding up the mainline track 4 towards HUNT.
 #880694  by Matthew Mitchell

scotty269 wrote:A unique sighting from earlier today: At approx 11am, TC-80 (geometry car) was speeding up the mainline track 4 towards HUNT.
That car usually lives in Liberty Yard, doesn't it? This afternoon I noticed a work locomotive and a coupla wire train cars (I think) in the spot where TC-80 usually is found.
 #880704  by scotty269

Matthew Mitchell wrote:
scotty269 wrote:A unique sighting from earlier today: At approx 11am, TC-80 (geometry car) was speeding up the mainline track 4 towards HUNT.
That car usually lives in Liberty Yard, doesn't it? This afternoon I noticed a work locomotive and a coupla wire train cars (I think) in the spot where TC-80 usually is found.
Yup. I had noticed it missing from it's usual spot about two weeks ago. Read the post by septadude @ (http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.ph ... 66#p879366) it sounds like it has been busy recently.

I believe it was the 51 and two of the three recently acquired ex-CN flatcars which are being prepped for wire train duty. They looked to have been freshly painted in MoW orange and had those sissorlift platforms.
 #880772  by Matthew Mitchell

scotty269 wrote:I believe it was the 51 and two of the three recently acquired ex-CN flatcars which are being prepped for wire train duty. They looked to have been freshly painted in MoW orange and had those sissorlift platforms.
The scissorlifts were moved overnight or early this morning. 51 was on its way back to its parking spot at WECS when I passed by about 8:30.
 #882144  by Matthew Mitchell

There's an MBTA or ex-MBTA push-pull set in Penn Coach Yard. Was driving, so I wasn't able to look closer. Anyone know what it is and what it's doing there?