Railroad Forums 

• Why is Wawa expansion so slow and costly??

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1306091  by loufah

25Hz wrote:
NorthPennLimited wrote:
For anyone with an automobile, they have the option of driving 10-15 minutes to Exton station and catch an express train into the city during rush hour.
The whole point of a proper transit system is to not need to do that.
I think people who live in the sticks, 20 miles from the hub of the rail system, should be thrilled that they are only 4 miles from the nearest train station, and that they have a bus to get them to it if they wish. Even in densely-populated parts of NJ, a 20-mile commute via transit can easily involve multiple transfers and take 2 hours each way.
 #1306125  by Suburban Station

bikentransit wrote:Wouldnt it be easier to get the whole thing funded instead of just the Wawa stadium complex?

It's good to see a municipality putting so much effort into this and FINALLY recognizing this needs to be a priority. There is no viable public transit in West Chester right now for city bound workers.
that's an interesting thought, it does seem more worthwhile to restore the rail all the way even if it means sacrificing wawa until some future date.
as north penn the fact he compared west chester to Newtown suggests he is completely ignorant on the town itself...the suggestion that people north of colmar are more deserving is hypocritical since they can drive to colmar. Unless he supports cutting service to doylestown I don't know that much merit can be given to the argument. West chester is the largest and most densely populated county seat not named norristown. It is the ONLY county seat without direct rail service. It is also among the most densely populated suburbs (like norristown and upper darby), near peak population, and Home to a 15k student university. Frankly if west chester can't justify service then no suburb can hope to justify rail restoration.
 #1306126  by Suburban Station

loufah wrote:
25Hz wrote:
NorthPennLimited wrote:
For anyone with an automobile, they have the option of driving 10-15 minutes to Exton station and catch an express train into the city during rush hour.
The whole point of a proper transit system is to not need to do that.
I think people who live in the sticks, 20 miles from the hub of the rail system, should be thrilled that they are only 4 miles from the nearest train station, and that they have a bus to get them to it if they wish. Even in densely-populated parts of NJ, a 20-mile commute via transit can easily involve multiple transfers and take 2 hours each way.
West chester had two railroads at one point. They should be thrilled they have to drive somewhere else? Do you even know where west chester is? It's mp 27.5. What milepost is doylestown which has direct rail service? How about lancaster? Or even nearby wilmington?
 #1306189  by Suburban Station

bikentransit wrote:Who cares?

Do you know how bad traffic is in West Chester? Or how difficult it is to get to the city from there? It's one of the worst commutes next to places like Phoenixville.
there are lots of places, or at least a few, that should see rail service. West chester doesn't preclude quakertown, that's the beauty of the regional system, it all works together. I agree with you, west chester is surrounded by awful traffic. Providing direct service there will better serve the borough, the college and the densely-populated areas in its immediate vicinity. Any riders siphoned off of exton will help reduce traffic there and free up spaces for other users. If you work at the hospitals driving to exton to get to 30th to get another shuttle doesn't make any sense. It should help increase transit share as well.
 #1306191  by bikentransit

I think we can all agree that the many extensions that need to be done are all worthy of investment. West Chester seems like an easy no-brainer. Hopefully at some point, there's a realization on the state level that the state needs more involvement in passenger rail in PA and steps in to make such investments in and out of the Philly area.
 #1306226  by loufah

Suburban Station wrote:
loufah wrote:I think people who live in the sticks, 20 miles from the hub of the rail system, should be thrilled that they are only 4 miles from the nearest train station, and that they have a bus to get them to it if they wish. Even in densely-populated parts of NJ, a 20-mile commute via transit can easily involve multiple transfers and take 2 hours each way.
West chester had two railroads at one point. They should be thrilled they have to drive somewhere else? Do you even know where west chester is? It's mp 27.5. What milepost is doylestown which has direct rail service? How about lancaster? Or even nearby wilmington?
I've been going to West Chester by bus since the W days. SEPTA doesn't go to Lancaster. SEPTA goes to Wilmington, which is not out in the sticks, because Delaware pays them to and Amtrak takes care of the rails.
 #1306259  by Suburban Station

Amtrak goes to lancaster and they use rails to get there, it's a county seat. The only two county seats that don't have rail service are berks and wc and only wc is in septas territory, reading should also have service. The bus to wc is worthless to get to the city.
 #1306260  by Suburban Station

bikentransit wrote:I think we can all agree that the many extensions that need to be done are all worthy of investment. West Chester seems like an easy no-brainer. Hopefully at some point, there's a realization on the state level that the state needs more involvement in passenger rail in PA and steps in to make such investments in and out of the Philly area.
I'd go further,fif we can't do wc which is easier than most, what can we do?
 #1306277  by motor

bikentransit wrote:Wouldnt it be easier to get the whole thing funded instead of just the Wawa stadium complex?
Wawa has a stadium? Whenever I'm in Delco I hardly venture far off of 95. I've rarely been along Baltimore Pike since moving out of PA in 1985.

motor
 #1306370  by loufah

Suburban Station wrote:Amtrak goes to lancaster and they use rails to get there, it's a county seat. The only two county seats that don't have rail service are berks and wc.
How can I get to York and Gettysburg via rail?
 #1306502  by Suburban Station

bikentransit wrote:Right now we can do nada. In the future we may also do nada. Clearly the system in place does not work for expanding beyond what is in place today. Something needs to change.
Point being that if we can't make it work for a place like west chester what hope is there for smaller places?
 #1306515  by Clearfield

Suburban Station wrote:
bikentransit wrote:Right now we can do nada. In the future we may also do nada. Clearly the system in place does not work for expanding beyond what is in place today. Something needs to change.
Point being that if we can't make it work for a place like west chester what hope is there for smaller places?
"We" can't make it because the Chester County Commissioners weren't in favor of it. They opted for more service on the Paoli-Thorndale line instead. The elected officials made the decision.

If you want to resume service to West Chester, start with the County. They have to kick in part of the operating subsidy. That will increase local taxes. Good luck!
 #1306542  by CComMack

Clearfield wrote:
Suburban Station wrote:
"We" can't make it because the Chester County Commissioners weren't in favor of it. They opted for more service on the Paoli-Thorndale line instead. The elected officials made the decision.

If you want to resume service to West Chester, start with the County. They have to kick in part of the operating subsidy. That will increase local taxes. Good luck!
The alternative is to get the Borough of West Chester (and the other on-line municipalities) to chip in, in place of the apparently-still-useless County Commissioners.