Railroad Forums 

• Newtown line leased to Montco for recreational trail

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1345417  by trollyFoamer

If I'm to believe most of the recent, and a few not so recent, posts it seems if there were no rail to trail conversions we'd miraculously see rail passenger service reinstated everywhere.
I suspect that the Master's (you're not fooling me with the Dr Who type alias, I recognize your photo) idea that trails do more good than harm, is a bit closer to truth than those who say that the only thing stopping SEPTA from putting trains back to Newtown is the pedestrian-bike path.
 #1345480  by Wingnut

trollyFoamer wrote:If I'm to believe most of the recent, and a few not so recent, posts it seems if there were no rail to trail conversions we'd miraculously see rail passenger service reinstated everywhere.
I suspect that the Master's (you're not fooling me with the Dr Who type alias, I recognize your photo) idea that trails do more good than harm, is a bit closer to truth than those who say that the only thing stopping SEPTA from putting trains back to Newtown is the pedestrian-bike path.
The pedestrian-bike path isn't the only thing preventing rail restoration, it is yet another thing. But the biggest obstacle is SEPTA which has the most anti-rail mentality of any multi-modal agency. The fact that RRD has survived three decades of their rule is amazing when you think about it.
 #1345517  by bikentransit

There's plenty of blame to go around. To blame SEPTA alone is simply disingenuous to the issue at hand. When SEPTA stopped these and other trains, there was no uproar from the public, the politicians didn't open the purse and fund the operation, and of course SEPTA did their own slash and burn party as well. The biggest culprit was and is PA politics.
 #1346685  by Wingnut

bikentransit wrote:There's plenty of blame to go around. To blame SEPTA alone is simply disingenuous to the issue at hand. When SEPTA stopped these and other trains, there was no uproar from the public, the politicians didn't open the purse and fund the operation, and of course SEPTA did their own slash and burn party as well. The biggest culprit was and is PA politics.
Exactly. I never meant to make it sound like SEPTA was the only culprit. Their historical anti-rail bias is the direct result from the state's lack of funding and lack of interest.
 #1421989  by glennk419

The decimation continues. This morning I passed Woodmont and noticed that the rails are now gone NORTH of Byberry Road with the ties being pulled up. I didn't have the time to swing back around to see if they've reached County Line Road.
 #1488700  by glennk419

According to postings on the Newtown Line Facebook page, the rails have now been pulled past Southampton station and up the the Street Road overpass. They have also removed the two approach spans of the Nesahaminy Creek bridge up toward Newtown. The South Eastern Pennsylvania Trail Authority marches on.