Railroad Forums 

• Officials push for extending MARC service to Elkton, Newark

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#394043  by skm

I would agree with the notion of expanded rail service to Wilmington/Newark not only weekday but to also include expanded Saturday service and Sunday service. It would give commuters and weekend travelers more options.

Deldot's long range plans includes possible service to Dover/Middletown, so there is an interest in exploring inter-Delaware rail service.

#394168  by islandtransit

Again, I don't think Newark would be a problem as far as meets go. If there needs to be a layup yard though, then maybe another location would be wise.

#394559  by redarrow5591

Besides, if you're being penny pinched, like most of us are, I probably would welcome a extension to another service that would allow me to avoid paying AMTRAK a arm, a leg, and my first born to the devil. A four seat ride to NYC from Baltimore in about four and a half hours for about $32 bucks ($13.50 est. for MARC, $7 for SEPTA for both the R2 and R7, $11.50 for NJT).

I'd do that in one hell of a hurry.

#394654  by skm

redarrow5591 wrote:Besides, if you're being penny pinched, like most of us are, I probably would welcome a extension to another service that would allow me to avoid paying AMTRAK a arm, a leg, and my first born to the devil. A four seat ride to NYC from Baltimore in about four and a half hours for about $32 bucks ($13.50 est. for MARC, $7 for SEPTA for both the R2 and R7, $11.50 for NJT).

I'd do that in one hell of a hurry.
Hopefully there would be enough service for the casual traveler as well as the weekday commuter.

#394688  by motor

amusing erudition wrote:[Extending MARC to Newark] would result in MARC serving four state-like jurisdictions, which is equally unique.

-asg
Or if you want to put it another way, three states and a state-wannabe. :wink:

Someone asked how many tracks are at Elkton. I don't drive up MD 213 north of US 40 very often, so I don't know for sure, but I believe there are four tracks at the fenced off station there. (I haven't read the whole thread yet, so please forgive me.)

motor

#394716  by amusing erudition

motor wrote:I believe there are four tracks at the fenced off station there.
Three tracks through Elkton.

-asg

#394877  by kevikens

Does MARC run weekend commuter trains ? I seem to remember then NOT running weekends so expanaded weekend service might not be a poosibility if MARC runs the expansion and unless I'm wrong SEPTA does not run on weekends to Newark.

#394895  by amusing erudition

kevikens wrote:Does MARC run weekend commuter trains?
No but they could. Amtrak regionals take MARC passes on weekends. Also, I think MARC runs some specials to Oriole games on weekends. Or at least did before Washington got its own team.
nless I'm wrong SEPTA does not run on weekends to Newark.

Saturdays to Wilmington only, Sundays to Marcus Hook only.

-asg

#394998  by CHIP72

From what I've read, the Maryland Transit Administration is giving consideration to running weekend MARC Penn Line trains. It is possible those trains would only run between Baltimore and Washington however.

#395190  by islandtransit

Well, if it's only three tracks at Elkton, then, if you want to just use what's already there, then I think Newark will be the best bet for a meet. It's 4 tracks. Either that, or overlap, or build a new track at Elkton for SEPTA

#395196  by amusing erudition

islandtransit wrote:Well, if it's only three tracks at Elkton, then, if you want to just use what's already there, then I think Newark will be the best bet for a meet. It's 4 tracks. Either that, or overlap, or build a new track at Elkton for SEPTA
Well, who owns the former Elkton and Middletown Railroad spur off the NEC? That has definite yard possibilities if it's not been reclaimed (though the entrance was always from the south, so SEPTA trains would have to reverse into it, because a new entrance from the north would have too high curvature, but a yard is a yard).

-asg