Railroad Forums 

• Best Places In Philly To Photograph Regional Rail Trains

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1176481  by Genjinaro

Trenton is a nice spot, you get to see almost every type of Regional Rail rolling stock, pass through & you have the higher vantage point to get your shots on the platform. If you are really good with your camera & have a good zoom you can get some overhead shots from the terminal.

20th & JFK is also a great location for overhead shots.
 #1176769  by Matthew Mitchell

A reminder that since the arrest of two men conspiring to plant a bomb on the Maple Leaf and the bombing in Boston that well-meaning citizens are going to suspicious about people taking pictures of trains. Carry ID and please be courteous and cooperative if law enforcement personnel ask you to identify yourself and what you are doing. That way both you and the officer can get the encounter over quickly and get on with your Now is not the time to try and make a statement about civil rights: it's just going to cause some officers to act like jerks with the next railfan they see.
 #1208007  by drewh

I vote for Market East. Not only is there regional rail with views from above the platform IIRC, but theres Patco which offers great views from the Ben Franklin Bridge, Market Frankford line, Broad Ridge spur, and old Reading Terminal, including the market underneath for good food. University City and Trenton too.
 #1255838  by 4400Washboard

30th Street and Trenton are best, especially at sunset and sunrise. Best Silverliner IV shots I have came from 30th and the best Silverliner Vs came from Trenton, hence my recommendation.
 #1276037  by PhilliesPhan2013

Any spot on the NEC in Delaware County. All different types of SEPTA Regional Rail Trains fly down these tracks. Everything from the Silverliner IV and Vs, the AEM-7, and even the occasional wire train pass by. Chester is a perfect station to railfan at for me. I do want to take a trip to the SEPTA Main Line eventually. I heard that the action is great over there!
 #1288706  by jonnhrr

PhilliesPhan2013 wrote:Any spot on the NEC in Delaware County. All different types of SEPTA Regional Rail Trains fly down these tracks. Everything from the Silverliner IV and Vs, the AEM-7, and even the occasional wire train pass by. Chester is a perfect station to railfan at for me. I do want to take a trip to the SEPTA Main Line eventually. I heard that the action is great over there!
Agreed. I used to like to railfan at the Ridley Park station, you get a good view of trains approaching from the East, in a fairly safe neighborhood.

I guess the main drawback vs. the NEC East of Philly is you don't get to see the Keystone Service and other trains that go NYC-PHL.

Jon