Railroad Forums 

• Trenton Spur At Frazer/Cross Country Metro

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1294363  by bikentransit

The experts were probably right. CCM wouldn't have been a great commuter line as you can't serve the suburbs here by rail the way rail serves the city. Too much sprawl.
However, perhaps the experts were looking at the Trenton Cutoff using the wrong lens. The cutoff has some value in a shortcut between Harrisburg/Lancaster and NY. A station in Plymouth meeting, Willow Grove, Southampton or Oxford Valley that provided one seat service to Harrisburg/Lancaster/NY would be very attractive, probably as attractive as a station at Jenkintown or Langhorne that touched NY as well.
 #1295673  by 25Hz

NorthPennLimited wrote:It's funny, the newspaper just did a story on this subject for the Delaware Valley Area.

Horsham, Upper Moreland, King of Prussia, Conshohocken and Radnor have seen the greatest corporate sprawl from Philadelphia in the last decade. CCM cuts through the heart of 4 of these communities.

Residential Sprawl is in occurring the most in Montco and Chesco along Rt 422 between Collegeville, Phoenixville, and Douglassville. The Schuylkill Valley Metro cuts through 3 of these towns, then kisses King of Prussia at Abrams Yard.

If you had $500 million to blow in SEPTA expansion, do you chase the job growth, or residential sprawl migration patterns?
Speaking from personal experience and observation, i think we need to go after congestion reduction. There has been absolutely zero meeting of new construction and transit options. It's been all growth of housing and population and widened roads, with SEPTA cutting vs expanding. I think expanded transit would in fact reduce sprawl, because it would make things seem closer than they are via driving only. In the last 3 months the traffic in the southern half (below 202 bypass in doylestown) of bucks county has become something out of a novel with robert moses as the arch-villain, and sadly i wish i was exaggerating. Either new housing needs to be stopped, or SEPTA needs to be expanded both on the bus and the rail side. One or the other. From what i've seen, montgomery county is even worse.

I'm at the end of my rope with the transportation situation in this area, really. To the point that i'm not even going to bother much longer arguing the points or posting government data on these issues as to clarify that it is fact & not my own personal view. We know what's wrong and what needs to be done, but it isn't getting done, is it, and it just gets worse every quarter.
 #1295678  by Clearfield

25Hz wrote:Either new housing needs to be stopped, or SEPTA needs to be expanded both on the bus and the rail side. One or the other.
"Either new housing needs to be stopped" - Simple - Just tell the developers to shut down their companies and lay their workers off.

"SEPTA needs to be expanded both on the bus and the rail side" - Not gonna happen on the rail side while SEPTA is still struggling to rebuild crumbling infrastructure. Bus? You have a shot.
 #1295682  by bikentransit

What's crumbling on SEPTA?

Anyway, it's a good thing the pols are on the ball. If Bucks County is exploding with traffic so bad, they made a great call in converting 2 rail corridors into trails. Thumbs up!!
 #1295781  by AlexC

25Hz wrote:I'm at the end of my rope with the transportation situation in this area, really. To the point that i'm not even going to bother much longer arguing the points or posting government data on these issues as to clarify that it is fact & not my own personal view. We know what's wrong and what needs to be done, but it isn't getting done, is it, and it just gets worse every quarter.
Thank you.