Railroad Forums 

• Newtown Line

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

How should the Newtown line be?

All-Electric Service running into Center City
45%
All-Diesel Service running to Fox Chase
8%
Diesel-Electric Dual Mode into Center City
36%
No service to Newtown
12%
 #1283838  by glennk419

25Hz wrote:Wow, how super handy and helpful it will be to build more trails that help no one get around. Super awesome and useful, especially in winter and at night.
But they do make it easier to get to and from the beer parties in the woods. :P
 #1283854  by ChrisinAbington

25Hz wrote:Wow, how super handy and helpful it will be to build more trails that help no one get around. Super awesome and useful, especially in winter and at night.
To each their own. I plan on using the trail a whole lot more than an 30 years overgrown, pricker infested ROW. I may even buy a bike to use it. And yes, I consider myself somebody and it will help me get around from time to time. I don't see what the big deal is about jumping on a bike to get to Fox Chase if you want to go there. There is ZERO immediate return on having that corridor stay the way it was.
 #1283956  by SCB2525

There is a FUTURE detriment to reactivation possibility though.

I simply don't see how they couldn't have done a rails with trails type project as proposed by PA-TEC. Just paving over a railroad ROW is lazy planning.
 #1283959  by SCB2525

Hacker wrote:There's a rumor circulating in Southampton that SEPTA will convert 1 mile of the line to a trail from Southampton Station to Tamanend park as a showcase of reuse of dormant corridors it owns and how conversions benefit the community. SEPTA will be doing the conversion since Bucks County has repeatedly said no. Perhaps SEPTA should open a Regional Trail division.
I seriously doubt SEPTA would be the impetus if its even true. If anything the developers of that condo that just went up would be.
 #1285265  by 25Hz

Users of said park that i know & talk to expressed interest in a re-activated rail line. Simply cover the ROW over and no one would ever know it was there, continue use of park, perhaps with a flag stop memorial day-labor day.
 #1285365  by bikentransit

It is a guarantee that the trail will be a detriment to restoration. First, SEPTA has no plans nor money to revive the line, and no one is willing to pay for it. Second, those who live near the one don't want it. Third, SEPTA was asked to at minimal place signage at entrances to the trail that is was SEPTA property railbanked for recreational use. Guess what SEPTA said to that request? What does that tell you about the line's future as a railroad?

#1285482  by 25Hz

bikentransit wrote:It is a guarantee that the trail will be a detriment to restoration. First, SEPTA has no plans nor money to revive the line, and no one is willing to pay for it. Second, those who live near the one don't want it. Third, SEPTA was asked to at minimal place signage at entrances to the trail that is was SEPTA property railbanked for recreational use. Guess what SEPTA said to that request? What does that tell you about the line's future as a railroad?
It defies logic and reason to put a critically needed rail line as a trail. At this point I have no choice but begin sincerely contemplating bringing suit in this situation. I all ready know at least 200 people that would join me from all along the line. The half mile traffic jams need addressing, and wider roads won't do it.
 #1285493  by Push&Pull Master

25Hz wrote:Users of said park that i know & talk to expressed interest in a re-activated rail line. Simply cover the ROW over and no one would ever know it was there, continue use of park, perhaps with a flag stop memorial day-labor day.
Simply cover the ROW over? Do you mean build a park over it or build a tunnel under the park? Either option would be cost prohibitive and people would know it was there because you would hear the trains under the ground/park.
 #1285494  by the sarge

25Hz wrote:It defies logic and reason to put a critically needed rail line as a trail. At this point I have no choice but begin sincerely contemplating bringing suit in this situation. I all ready know at least 200 people that would join me from all along the line. The half mile traffic jams need addressing, and wider roads won't do it.
I have no choice but to begin sincerely contemplating LMFAO!!!
 #1285548  by Clearfield

25Hz wrote:It defies logic and reason to put a critically needed rail line as a trail.
On what basis and when did anyone in the Federal Government, Bucks County Government, Montgomery County Government, DVARP, SEPTA, PENNDOT or any other money-controlling stakeholder make the determination that the Newton line is 'critically needed'?

I'll follow your civil suit with great interest!
 #1285582  by RDGAndrew

On a more serious/realistic note, contractors were out yesterday (yes, Sunday) working on the W. Trenton line grade crossing. It's getting the full crossbucks, lights & gates treatment. I say, go back to the way it was in the last decades of operation, and make all trail users pick up a lineside phone and call 1234 to get permission to cross! LOL! I also think it would be fantastic if someone could cosmetically restore the block signal south of Moredon Rd and set it up to display "clear". Anyone?
 #1285593  by DELIMAN092262

Dumb question: If a jogger goes around the gates to “beat the train” and is hit by a train. Who is considered liable? Montgomery County the owner of the trail or Septa the owner of the W. Trenton ROW? Basically, who gets sued by the jogger for their injuries? The county or Septa? Or, both?
 #1285599  by 25Hz

DELIMAN092262 wrote:Dumb question: If a jogger goes around the gates to “beat the train” and is hit by a train. Who is considered liable? Montgomery County the owner of the trail or Septa the owner of the W. Trenton ROW? Basically, who gets sued by the jogger for their injuries? The county or Septa? Or, both?
The jogger is liable as long as there is sufficient signage in place to warn people, i'd think?
 #1285614  by Clearfield

DELIMAN092262 wrote:Dumb question: If a jogger goes around the gates to “beat the train” and is hit by a train. Who is considered liable? Montgomery County the owner of the trail or Septa the owner of the W. Trenton ROW? Basically, who gets sued by the jogger for their injuries? The county or Septa? Or, both?
The jogger is trespassing. He or she is not an 'invitee' on the tracks in that situation. Anyone can sue anyone, but the jogger wouldn't have a leg to stand on (no pun intended).
 #1285624  by glennk419

Clearfield wrote:
The jogger is trespassing. He or she is not an 'invitee' on the tracks in that situation. Anyone can sue anyone, but the jogger wouldn't have a leg to stand on (no pun intended).
Unfortunately, jurys in this country are not necessarily comprised of the smartest of our society and often love to go after the "higher' entity. In this case, that would be SEPTA.

This whole damn thing is a recipe for disaster just to a satisfy a few tree huggers and I also can't wait until someone's unsupervised kid falls off of one of the numerous bridges crossing the Pennypack Creek between Welsh Road and Woodmont.