Railroad Forums 

• Newtown Line

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

How should the Newtown line be?

All-Electric Service running into Center City
45%
All-Diesel Service running to Fox Chase
8%
Diesel-Electric Dual Mode into Center City
36%
No service to Newtown
12%
 #1278030  by dreese_us

They have however allowed multiple parcels of land immediately adjacent to stations go developed which would be crucial to expand parking. A nice swath between second street pike and Southampton station just had condos jammed into its odd shaped area which would have made for a nice 200+ spot lot.
With the closing of Bostik and the demolition of all buildings, there is now a vacant lot at County Line Road that could be used for a new station.
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.164856, ... cvQ_Xg!2e0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Septa could even build a new station with high level platform and a parking garage. With any luck, it will get done by 2064
 #1278060  by AlexC

Push/Pull Master wrote:
bikentransit wrote:Bucks is under alot of pressure now to pursue the trail. There's a fairly influential group that is pushing for it. Funny how fast this line got ripped up while the lobbying for its restoration a few years ago was met with a high degree of venom from septa and the planners. It's almost as if this trail couldn't be built fast enough. Odd. In fact, it's odd that in the last 3 years, SEPTA has been trailizing dormant rail lines at break-neck speed. Kind of defeats the purpose of their existence.
At least SEPTA hasn't sold or split up the ROW to landowners. The trail keeps the ROW in place and SEPTA still holds the right to convert it back to rail. Face it, I don't think SEPTA has the money right now anyway to restore service to Newtown. Does anyone want to try and guess how much it would cost now?
This may not be true. Montgomery County was sued over the ROW of the conversion of the Perkiomen Trail.
The various deeds & contracts on the land said it reverted back to the owners when it wasn't a railroad any more.

If you used the trail between Collegeville & Schwenksville you know it veers of the ROW for a variety of reasons. The Schwenksville part south of Rt 73 jogs like it does specifically because of the lawsuits.

Granted, the conditions by which SEPTA and the county are going about the conversion might be different. I imagine the county learned their lesson.
 #1278199  by CComMack

SCB2525 wrote:
Push/Pull Master wrote:At least SEPTA hasn't sold or split up the ROW to landowners. The trail keeps the ROW in place and SEPTA still holds the right to convert it back to rail. Face it, I don't think SEPTA has the money right now anyway to restore service to Newtown. Does anyone want to try and guess how much it would cost now?
They have however allowed multiple parcels of land immediately adjacent to stations go developed which would be crucial to expand parking. A nice swath between second street pike and Southampton station just had condos jammed into its odd shaped area which would have made for a nice 200+ spot lot.
You're kidding me. That sort of development is better for the restoration of the line than any parking lot would be.
 #1278329  by bikentransit

Except it's fairly light density and age restricted, meaning not likely to generate many city bound commuters. This goose is cooked folks.
 #1278486  by 25Hz

We are waiting for our train to arrive. We have a station area zoned, we have all the things needed in newtown to welcome the line back to active service.

To hell with these useless trails used 5 months out of the year by a few dozen people.

Signed, car free environmental activist.
 #1278917  by NorthPennLimited

Did SEPTA or Conrail ever officially file a petition for abandonment with the Surface Transportation Board? I can't find the paperwork on the STB website, unless it's listed under ownership with a different railroad or real estate holding company.

The only thing that came up on the search in the last 2 years was a permission granted to abandon the Trenton Industrial track from west Trenton yard to lower ferry road.
 #1278940  by Tritransit Area

Dunno if anyone noticed, but in the Bethayres/Huntingdon Valley area, they seem to be ripping up the tracks and ties. There's a nice pile of them by the car wash on Old Welsh Road (route 63).
 #1279079  by glennk419

Tritransit Area wrote:Dunno if anyone noticed, but in the Bethayres/Huntingdon Valley area, they seem to be ripping up the tracks and ties. There's a nice pile of them by the car wash on Old Welsh Road (route 63).
Yes, they've wasted no time on the desecration since the extension of the trail to nowhere was approved..
 #1279082  by Clearfield

glennk419 wrote:
Tritransit Area wrote:Dunno if anyone noticed, but in the Bethayres/Huntingdon Valley area, they seem to be ripping up the tracks and ties. There's a nice pile of them by the car wash on Old Welsh Road (route 63).
Yes, they've wasted no time on the desecration since the extension of the trail to nowhere was approved..
The track and ties haven't been used since the early 1980's. Jointed rail would have been scrapped anyway. Ties were rotting. It's an emotional loss, not a practical one.
 #1279141  by SCB2525

Scrapped anyway? Why couldn't they just thermite weld it like they do all other CWR? That rail probably had a handful of trains on it since installation. A real waste.

Even if the rails and ties are no loss, the addition of paving that would have to be removed and ballast added in place of certainly is.
 #1279424  by 25Hz

The rail on the line is worth money. Train on the line is solution to a problem.

They will have to pull everything up and regrade the entire line end to end and put new ballast regardless. The rails I've seem have severe flange side wear.

I'm really beginning to question why this whole situation has not been investigated - gross mismanagemt of assets.
 #1279460  by Clearfield

25Hz wrote:I'm really beginning to question why this whole situation has not been investigated - gross mismanagemt of assets.
Perhaps you should bring this to the attention of SEPTA's Inspector General, or the Pennsylvania Attorney General, or the Pennsylvania Auditor General.
 #1279500  by RDG467

Guess you didn't read my post on the last page......
The contractor is over the river (Pennypack Creek, actually) and into the woods on the other side as of last Friday. Orange CAUTION netting is up on the far side of the Bridge.
 #1279616  by Tritransit Area

RDG467 wrote:
Guess you didn't read my post on the last page......
The contractor is over the river (Pennypack Creek, actually) and into the woods on the other side as of last Friday. Orange CAUTION netting is up on the far side of the Bridge.
Ah I missed that post! I wonder if they are going to take down/rebuild the bridge for the trail. Do you know where the trail is supposed to end?