Railroad Forums 

• Newtown Line

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

How should the Newtown line be?

All-Electric Service running into Center City
45%
All-Diesel Service running to Fox Chase
8%
Diesel-Electric Dual Mode into Center City
36%
No service to Newtown
12%
 #1275318  by glennk419

If it's ANY consolation at all, don't forget that there are still fiber optics communications lines buried under the ROW between Bethayres and Newtown that are at least keeping it somewhat intact. I also wouldn't be so sure that INEPTA is released of all liability for the line just because there happens to be a trail sitting on it instead of a train. They do still own it.

I still haven't seen anything on the grade crossing protection for the trail at the West Trenton line.
 #1277587  by RDG467

A contractor removed the rails and ties in the vicinity of Welsh and Terwood Rds last week. The track is still buried at both grade crossings, but has been removed up to and partially on the bridge over the Pennypack creek. Once I can figure out how to get my pix out of Google-tory, I'll post them here. Ties are stacked up near the car wash on the east side of Welsh Rd.
 #1277593  by bikentransit

I wonder if the crossings will be officially abandoned and striken from the FRA registry, since there's a better chance of the Blvd subway being built than trains coming back here.
When will Bucks County get on-board with the trail?
I also heard the Woodmont NIMBY's protested the trail so it's ending in the middle of nowhere at Byberry Road.
 #1277636  by trackwelder

bikentransit wrote:I wonder if the crossings will be officially abandoned and striken from the FRA registry, since there's a better chance of the Blvd subway being built than trains coming back here.
When will Bucks County get on-board with the trail?

i'm hoping never.
 #1277663  by SCB2525

bikentransit wrote: I also heard the Woodmont NIMBY's protested the trail so it's ending in the middle of nowhere at Byberry Road.
At least the possibility still exists to route it to the Warminster branch via the Trenton cutoff, as remote a possibility as that is.
 #1277667  by SCB2525

Partial aside, why did SEPTA not at least retain a length of track above Rhawn to store trains on? Fox Chase operation involves a fair amount of deadheading to/from Roberts.
 #1277705  by amtrakhogger

SCB2525 wrote:Partial aside, why did SEPTA not at least retain a length of track above Rhawn to store trains on? Fox Chase operation involves a fair amount of deadheading to/from Roberts.
Roberts yard is only a few miles from Fox Chase, so deadheading trains is not that big of a deal .
 #1277729  by glennk419

I drove by Huntingdon Valley Station this week and the ties were already piled about 15 feet high with everything removed at least up to the Terwood Road crossing.

Very depressing to say the least.
 #1277753  by RDG467

This isn't a great loss, imho, since IF this line EVER gets 'un-suspended', I think these crossings should be grade-separated. It would require a new bridge across the Pennypack, but one could easily ramp-up the r-o-w on the opposite side and use one bridge on a slightly new alignment to cross Terwood and the Creek, hit the hill there for a spell and then bridge Welsh Rd. That would keep the tracks out of the flood-prone area.

Since I'm in fantasy land here anyways, the bridge could continue at a lower level on the current r-o-w thru the wetlands and then rise up to clear the R-3 line, eliminating the problems of maintaining a diamond crossing, and then continue on it's merry way down to Fox Chase... and someone will fix the Schuylklll Expy.... and finally finish the I-95 construction and....wha, whozat, who turned on the lights???..what's that flying out of my butt??? chimpanzees???.. sigh, back to reality in SE PA.......
 #1277865  by bikentransit

Bucks is under alot of pressure now to pursue the trail. There's a fairly influential group that is pushing for it. Funny how fast this line got ripped up while the lobbying for its restoration a few years ago was met with a high degree of venom from septa and the planners. It's almost as if this trail couldn't be built fast enough. Odd. In fact, it's odd that in the last 3 years, SEPTA has been trailizing dormant rail lines at break-neck speed. Kind of defeats the purpose of their existence.
 #1277889  by Clearfield

bikentransit wrote:Bucks is under alot of pressure now to pursue the trail. There's a fairly influential group that is pushing for it. Funny how fast this line got ripped up while the lobbying for its restoration a few years ago was met with a high degree of venom from septa and the planners. It's almost as if this trail couldn't be built fast enough. Odd. In fact, it's odd that in the last 3 years, SEPTA has been trailizing dormant rail lines at break-neck speed. Kind of defeats the purpose of their existence.
SEPTA has the option of officially abandoning dormant lines. Which path would you prefer SEPTA take?
 #1277912  by Push&Pull Master

bikentransit wrote:Bucks is under alot of pressure now to pursue the trail. There's a fairly influential group that is pushing for it. Funny how fast this line got ripped up while the lobbying for its restoration a few years ago was met with a high degree of venom from septa and the planners. It's almost as if this trail couldn't be built fast enough. Odd. In fact, it's odd that in the last 3 years, SEPTA has been trailizing dormant rail lines at break-neck speed. Kind of defeats the purpose of their existence.
At least SEPTA hasn't sold or split up the ROW to landowners. The trail keeps the ROW in place and SEPTA still holds the right to convert it back to rail. Face it, I don't think SEPTA has the money right now anyway to restore service to Newtown. Does anyone want to try and guess how much it would cost now?
 #1277927  by Hacker

There are many parcels on Newtown and possibly other ROWs that SEPTA is missing deeds for, or the land was simply used via quitclaim, meaning now that the purpose of the ROW has changed, landowners have more standing to reclaim property, if they wanted to.

Clearfield: Given that SEPTA has no intention/plans to restore or utilize these ROWs for their given purpose, it would be better that they sell the land to the counties or other organization, such as the Pennypack trust. There is no point to SEPTA holding any liability to these corridors or expending any resources. SEPTA has made it quite clear in this case that the line is redundant and not a good, nor feasible investment.
 #1278010  by SCB2525

Hacker wrote:Clearfield: Given that SEPTA has no intention/plans to restore or utilize these ROWs for their given purpose, it would be better that they sell the land to the counties or other organization, such as the Pennypack trust. There is no point to SEPTA holding any liability to these corridors or expending any resources. SEPTA has made it quite clear in this case that the line is redundant and not a good, nor feasible investment.
This is simply untrue. The line is not redundant and as a resident who has to fight the very traffic it would alleviate, no one will convince me otherwise.
 #1278011  by SCB2525

Push/Pull Master wrote:At least SEPTA hasn't sold or split up the ROW to landowners. The trail keeps the ROW in place and SEPTA still holds the right to convert it back to rail. Face it, I don't think SEPTA has the money right now anyway to restore service to Newtown. Does anyone want to try and guess how much it would cost now?
They have however allowed multiple parcels of land immediately adjacent to stations go developed which would be crucial to expand parking. A nice swath between second street pike and Southampton station just had condos jammed into its odd shaped area which would have made for a nice 200+ spot lot.