Railroad Forums 

• Newtown Line

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

How should the Newtown line be?

All-Electric Service running into Center City
45%
All-Diesel Service running to Fox Chase
8%
Diesel-Electric Dual Mode into Center City
36%
No service to Newtown
12%
 #1279785  by Push&Pull Master

Here's a link to the official site for the project:
http://www.montcopa.org/index.aspx?NID=922" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Unfortunately, like many other people, I feel that this trail conversion is going to end up being permanent and SEPTA is never going to convert the ROW back to rail. The only extension that could still be possible is an extension off the Trenton Cutoff to Newtown via Willow Grove. However, the Warminster Line has reached its maximum capacity.
 #1279801  by bikentransit

DUHHH, where have you guys been? Oh, sitting in your armchairs while the line gets devoured. Earth to RR.net users: The line is caked, finished, kaput. It's over, move on. It is never coming back. This was tried a few years ago, and the pols clearly had no interest. It's a damn shame the trail lobby could muster together effort to make a trail happen, but the foamers couldn't.
 #1279841  by RDG467

Guess you didn't read my post on the last page......
The contractor is over the river (Pennypack Creek, actually) and into the woods on the other side as of last Friday. Orange CAUTION netting is up on the far side of the Bridge.[/quote]

Ah I missed that post! I wonder if they are going to take down/rebuild the bridge for the trail. Do you know where the trail is supposed to end?[/quote]

As someone else noted, the trail will end at Byberry, but I believe the tie/rail removal contract covered the line up to County Line Rd. The bridge by Terwood will most likely be redecked. The piers seem to be in good shape, as are the steel girders, but I haven't looked underneath the bridge to see what that looks like.
 #1279873  by Push&Pull Master

bikentransit wrote:DUHHH, where have you guys been? Oh, sitting in your armchairs while the line gets devoured. Earth to RR.net users: The line is caked, finished, kaput. It's over, move on. It is never coming back. This was tried a few years ago, and the pols clearly had no interest. It's a damn shame the trail lobby could muster together effort to make a trail happen, but the foamers couldn't.
Well, OBVIOUSLY it's not coming back. I was being extremely sarcastic about restoring it using the Cutoff and making fun of the wacky proposals I've seen on here and other sites. Newtown obviously isn't coming back. PA-TEC tried to muster support but there wasn't enough political support and Septa basically said there wouldn't be enough new riders. Honestly, the only projects I actually see happening in the next 50 years are Wawa and King of Prussia.
 #1279931  by 25Hz

I think they'd have to run it off the west Trenton trunk via Bethayers. Via fox chase I feel may be a no-go unless they kill he trails completely.
 #1280698  by trackwelder

maybe a bit off topic, apologies all around. i was up in chestnut hill yesterday, passing by the abandoned plymouth branch ROW and i got to wondering; what is it about the newtown branch that gets everyones ire up so much? partially bringing the plymouth meeting line back, with a park and ride where it intersects with 309, would almost certainly be an unqualified success , but nobody gets all hot and bothered about this one. why is that?
 #1280704  by SCB2525

I've thought about it myself but SEPTA seems to have an aversion against short railroad routes. Also, a trail is destined for THAT right-of-way too. Plus, the distance between 309 at that branch and the main line is what, 3/4 of a mile? It's role as a draw off of 309 from the north is largely satisfied by Fort Washington.

I think the ire comes from the fact that it was that service was suspended by SEPTA and is SEPTA owned. The Fort Washington branch was abandoned by the Pennsylvania Railroad in 1954 and the ROW up to 309 is owned by PECO.

I understand the sentiment though. The DVARP report from 1973 posted in another topic really illustrates how much then-clear right-of-way has been lost, such as West Chester to Frazier, the Oxford Road (would have made for a hell of a light rail route), Fairhill, K&T and Tacony Branches, Plymouth Branch, Schyullkill Branch west of Norristown, Chester Valley (especially the section abandoned in 2011!), the Bel Del (in conjunction with a connection to the WT and Trenton branches would have made for a fair joint SEPTA/NJT service with stations at river crossings), Newtown Square, etc, etc.
 #1281541  by DelcoRR

"The Gulch" ,, site of the 1922 head~on collision that killed 27, injured over 70 more...
 #1283747  by RDGAndrew

Couple more reasons for ire: the fact that the line could have been electrified and integrated with the rest of the network in the '30s and then again in the mid-'60's, but it wasn't. Also the contention over SEPTA's attempt to turn it into an isolated, subway-style rapid transit line in the early '80's which likely drove away a good chunk of remaining ridership. Also the fact that federal grants paid for track upgrades after service was suspended and the ROW sat in limbo for 30 years.
 #1283771  by SCB2525

Not necessarily. You had Pattison extension, CCCT, Airport and probably a few others. After the late 70s though, pretty much no large scale product got any traction, and the dismantling of the N. Philly streetcar system and diesel rail routes started.
 #1283796  by Hacker

https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hph ... 6359_n.jpg

The systematic dismantlement of this corridor was intentional and a violation of SEPTA's enabling legislation. There's a rumor circulating in Southampton that SEPTA will convert 1 mile of the line to a trail from Southampton Station to Tamanend park as a showcase of reuse of dormant corridors it owns and how conversions benefit the community. SEPTA will be doing the conversion since Bucks County has repeatedly said no. Perhaps SEPTA should open a Regional Trail division.
 #1283823  by 25Hz

Wow, how super handy and helpful it will be to build more trails that help no one get around. Super awesome and useful, especially in winter and at night.
 #1283826  by LIRRtoRIDGE

25Hz wrote:Wow, how super handy and helpful it will be to build more trails that help no one get around.
Very true. While riding my bike, I somehow made a wrong turn and ended up on one of these rail trails and I could not get anywhere, not even back home. It's been two weeks and I'm tired and hungry.